The proper torquing of Matco tapered roller bearings

Roger Lee

Hi All,

I am posting this from the Matco website. It has become too apparent that many mechanics do not know how to properly torque tapered roller bearings on our Matco brakes and leave them way too lose. This will damage your races in your wheels and cost you money to repair it. The bearings on the original Italian Marc Ingegno brakes were the standard round ball bearing style which are inferior to a good tapered roller bearing. The tapered roller bearing does have some drag on it compared to the round bearing and that is perfectly normal.

When the tapered roller bearing is torqued correctly the wheel will not spin freely by hand as the standard round ball bearing style when the wheel is off the ground..

Please read this page and then print it and give it to your mechanic at the next inspection. Stick it in the maint. logbook so you won't forget it and the mechanic will hopefully read it.

http://media1.veraca...Iit=3649&Ict=23

• 1 month later...

My main wheels are 5.00x5 and marked "MARC INGEGNO" and "MADE IN ITALY".

Would this advice apply to these wheels?

BTW, I went out to my hangar and found my left tire completely flat. This was the Monster tire and new tube I installed in November.

I pulled the wheel and brought it home, removed the tube and filled it with air. THEN I checked the valve stem with my patented "spittle" method. Bubble, bubble.

I went ahead and replaced the core with one from one of the tubes I removed, and I'm good to go. Too bad I didn't think to check the valve for leakage BEFORE I took the wheel off!

Hi Eddie,

The Marc brakes are not the same type of bearings. They are just a standard sealed round ball bearing type. The torque on the axle nut should not effect these at all. When the nut is tightened the wheel will still turn freely.

The Matco's are very different with taper roller bearings that need the axle nut pressure to hold them in the proper place.

The bearings on the original Italian Marc Ingegno brakes were the standard round ball bearing style which are inferior to a good tapered roller bearing.

Roger, that's an understatement. They are a bad misapplication. Standard round ball bearings should not be used in the presence of significant side loads.

Hi Jim,

No argument from me. The Marc Ingegno brakes are under rated for our application and a terrible design. Worse yet is the non existent customer service or replies to emails.

I'm going to stop right here because I don't want to get on my soap box.

Hi Eddie,

They are just a standard sealed round ball bearing type.

Not mine, apparently.

Mine are definitely some sort of roller bearing - I know because I just greased them yesterday. And they're also definitely not sealed.

OTOH, I do believe my nosewheel is some sort of sealed bearing - probably ball.

Eddie,

Are your bearings shaped like a cone? Largest end on the outside of the wheel and the smallest on the inside? Are the bearings them selves long like a roller? If you answer yes to these you have tapered roller bearings and the first I've heard of on a plane.

p.s.

To grease these style of bearings grease must be forced from one end of the bearing rollers on the inside or underside of the roller bearing all the way up and out the other side of the roller. Just putting grease on the top of the rollers really doesn't cut it.

Archived