CT Fatal Iowa KMXO

CT4ME

Monticello is a short flight from Iowa City.  I didn't know Jerry Naylor, but others in this region did, of course.   I have purchased seed from his company, Naylor Seed, in Scotch Grove, IA.  This will be hard for the rural community where he lives.  A sad day, indeed.  

Nothing wrong with trying to identify the issue. He was obviously a high time very experienced pilot, and we should all learn from events like these, especially when it's our same aircraft. If anyone has any further details please post.

To me it looks like a high speed entry into high corn across the grain (perpendicular to the rows) with an eventual flip over and then breaking apart.

Since the pilot was an accomplished 90 year old I like to think he died from being 90 years old, on the way home, almost there still doing what he loved to do.  I don't want to think about the corn, good on the dog.

The corn is Iowa is about 3-6 feet high in this area, depending on the field.  No ears yet.  Don't you think that beaten down path from the runway was made by rescue workers getting to the wreckage and not a path cut by the airplane?

20 minutes ago, FredG said:

The corn is Iowa is about 3-6 feet high in this area, depending on the field.  No ears yet.  Don't you think that beaten down path from the runway was made by rescue workers getting to the wreckage and not a path cut by the airplane?

Yes Fred I see what you mean, doesn't look so high speed or so badly aligned now.

21 hours ago, JohnnyBlackCT said:

Yes, there is, when it just happened and there is no possible way in hell to know what happened.  Show some respect.

Nothing said above shows any lack of respect, this touches everyone deeply and all pilots have a strong interest in learning and understanding what happened. We all feel strong remourse when these incidents happen.

comment deleted!!!!!!!

11 hours ago, bmar said:

Nothing said above shows any lack of respect, this touches everyone deeply and all pilots have a strong interest in learning and understanding what happened. We all feel strong remourse when these incidents happen.

Now stop your whining

On the Cirrus board, there was lots of discussion on the topic of what's appropriate to discuss after an accident.  With too many data points, the consensus seems to have been that discussing what could have happened in an accident, but not being judgmental to the pilot, strikes a balance of the learning to be done, without disrespecting the pilot or his/her family.

Personally, I don't believe any lines were crossed here, at least relative to that standard.

Andy

Gone West...

At age 90, doing what you loved to do since 1946 -  no one else hurt, dog safe...

Sounds like Divine Providence to me.

Prayers to the family, a tip of my cap and a moment of silence for Jerry.

• 1 month later...

My thoughts and prayers to the Naylor Family during this difficult time. My father is 91 and still driving and doing everything he did when he was 81, and it sounds like Jerry wasn't letting age crimp his favorite past times much either. I know we should not speculate on what might have happened here, but instead let the authorities do their work,. But after some wrangling I feel it necessary to express my opinion to those of  us who fly with medium sized to large dogs in our tight little cockpits. If a dog got his body or butt against the stick pushing it to the side or straight back, or straight forward, dealing with the unusual attitude and possible G's produced by the animal on the stick could make for a very tough recovery? I am in no way implying that is what happened in this terrible accident, but lets all be aware of the possibility of such a situation.     

Archived