Canada, Cuba, Central America, and beyond

Farmer

Columbus was right the earth is not flat and contrary to this threads inactivity Duane and I did not drive off the edge.  It may take two posts  to summarize the trip but here goes.   When you are a senior citizen who is not retired and take six weeks off for  Adventure travel you get really behind in your work.    We got so involved in the trip and it's planning, and execution that something had to give.   I recommend a trip like this to everyone but when you're halfway through your 70's  it tends to be quite a physical and mental work load. Can hardly wait for the next leg of this flying adventure in the Americas.

The  Aircraft,  which is a  172 k model  preformed flawlessly.   With 60 gallons of fuel on board and a new Garman, IFR,  panel we could go anywhere they would sell us Fuel, and did.    One of the nicest features on the aircraft upgrade was placing a 797 Garmin on each yoke.  That with the JPI 450 and the  GTN 650 garmin  made for good situation awareness.  Final accounting on the trip is not complete however it looks like about 80 hours of flying, and more than 8000 nautical miles.   It appears we use about 600 gallons of fuel.  The landing fee billing  are still coming in from the airports across the country,  about C$17 per landing.    Aviation fuel is not readily available above the Arctic Circle.  But neither are there airports.   Where we could find Fuel the higher prices were about $3.45 per liter.   Pulling up to the pump and adding $500 of fuel is not for the faint of heart .   Most times we arrived at the airport without a ride or a room   We did spend four nights in the tents  at the EAA air show.   Best Oshkosh fly in I have ever attended in all these years .

We remove the backseat and put in a couple of bins, bungee strapped to the floor.  This was for the tent,sleeping bags. and MRE, survival gear etc. etc. etc.   where are well-equipped and never needed more than we had On board. 

We landed at 35 different airports of which 30 we had never seen before we were lined up on the final.  One of the big issues on this trip was understanding the perimeters of the airports, how long, at what MSL and what traffic pattern, as well as the frequencies.   The only flight plans  that were filed we're  the requirement to do so for international border crossings.   This is not to say that we did not vigorously plan our next landing spot.  We did not always land where we thought we would,  sometimes a little weather, more often unbelievable scenery. 

More to follow what I get a chance, cook is calling and I always respond.

Farmer

I don't know if you saw my post on another thread, but when you two stopped in at Roben-Hood on your way to OSH the wife and I missed you by an hour or so, twice!  You guys landed and left right before we arrived from Georgia, and then when we were departing a few days later you guys left about an hour before us.  We didn't even know you were in the area until the nice FBO lady mentioned you.  Sorry to have missed you!

Sounds like you had quite (another) adventure!

Andy, we grew up in the country outside Roben-Hood airport.  We spent about three nights there with family and old friends before we went on to Oshkosh.  Sorry we missed you as well.  When arriving at Oshkosh Monday morning, the ATIS said no more room for camping so we diverted to Appleton which turned out to be a great place to be.IMG_2709.jpg

IMG_2709.jpg

Archived