New CTs arriving from Germany

CT4ME

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Andy.  I re-read the specs for the CTSW and this is what I see with no "optional" items listed:

80hp Rotax - no Tundra package and 4.00-6 front wheel - analog only gages - elevator only trim - samel composite landing gear as CTLS - 600kg certified

I'm thinking this can be purchased here in the U.S. due to it listing 600kg certification

18 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

I think the 80hp 912 is a good platform for a turbo upgrade.  I've seen one long ago.

My buddy at the airport has that setup in his Rans 7. He can climb with the best of them but I can outrun him by 15 knots in my CTSW easily. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2017 at 9:59 PM, Ed Cesnalis said:

I think the 80hp 912 is a good platform for a turbo upgrade.  I've seen one long ago.

A used 80hp 912 with the 115hp Zipper big bore kit is another way to get great power at a low price.  It doesn’t help as much with the altitude problem where you fly, of course.

23 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

A used 80hp 912 with the 115hp Zipper big bore kit is another way to get great power at a low price.  It doesn’t help as much with the altitude problem where you fly, of course.

a big bore kit sounds internal where a turbo upgrade sounds like it won't fit in the cowl.  my guess is that it would require far less modification / customization and would be perhaps best option for a 2nd engine.  

Curious, why you guys would buy another CTSW, but not a CTLS? Is it the difference in cruise speed? What is the consensus on the speed difference? Having flown both long distances, the CTLS certainly has advantages in comfort ( more reclined seating option)  and convinience with the hat rack for storing munchies, and misc stuff you want in the cockpit with you. I guess for some the weight is an issue? 

1 hour ago, Scrapman1959 said:

Curious, why you guys would buy another CTSW, but not a CTLS? Is it the difference in cruise speed? What is the consensus on the speed difference? Having flown both long distances, the CTLS certainly has advantages in comfort ( more reclined seating option)  and convinience with the hat rack for storing munchies, and misc stuff you want in the cockpit with you. I guess for some the weight is an issue? 

The big advantage is empty weight, which is 50-150lb less than a CTLS.  That translates directly into useful load.  I have 575lb useful on my CTSW, the newest CTLSi models’ useful are about 90lbs lower.  Big difference when you want to take two people on a trip.

There are of course advantages to the CTLS.  They have more refined features and conveniences, but nothing in my mind that offsets the weight penalty.  I do wish my CTSW had the rear quarter windows so I could see better over my shoulder in flight.

Archived