New wide angle lens and Yosemite flight - yesterday

Ed Cesnalis

Mammoth Yosemite Airport within 30 minutes (CTSW speed) of 4 national parks

• Yosemite
  • Kings Canyon
  • Sequoia
  • Death Valley

Before we originally decided on Page for the next fly in ( we didn't know at the time it would become the 'annual') we talked about Mammoth.  Alan from Columbia nixed it he was convinced it would end in tragedy due to the serious terrain.

So we settled on Page where to me the terrain is quite serious but the results have been stellar to date.

3 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Before we originally decided on Page for the next fly in ( we didn't know at the time it would become the 'annual') we talked about Mammoth.  Alan from Columbia nixed it he was convinced it would end in tragedy due to the serious terrain.

Doesn't mean that a Mammoth Fly-In couldn't be arranged.  My CFI had always talked about teaching a mountain flying course, but was looking at a private airstrip at Lake Arrowhead.  I would think a MMT get together and mountain flying course would be stellar!

14 minutes ago, rtk said:

Doesn't mean that a Mammoth Fly-In couldn't be arranged.  My CFI had always talked about teaching a mountain flying course, but was looking at a private airstrip at Lake Arrowhead.  I would think a MMT get together and mountain flying course would be stellar!

There are different kinds of mountain flying.  High Sierra isn't Idaho in fact tail-draggers at Mammoth can be a bad idea.

Perhaps the course could focus on how to safely cross the Sierra and how to safely tour some of the 4 National Parks?  

You say Yosemite but the 5th looks like Banner and Ritter over Garnet Lake with the Minarets trailing off to the left and the 6th looks like Tom from the north. None of those are in the park.

They're nice pictures anyway, despite the mislabeling :-)

Mike Koerner

40 minutes ago, Mike Koerner said:

You say Yosemite but the 5th looks like Banner and Ritter over Garnet Lake with the Minarets trailing off to the left and the 6th looks like Tom from the north. None of those are in the park.

They're nice pictures anyway, despite the mislabeling :-)

Mike Koerner

It was a Yosemite Trip with the climb-out initially east to Mt Tom and the return over Donahue Pass.  I have no respect for park boundaries and often call adjacent areas Yosemite as well.

I went back and added labels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Mike Koerner said:

Ed,

I feel like you're just challenging me with these. Thousand Island Lake and Banner Peak.

I think you can leave this one out of your book. The smoke makes it look like another smoggy day in LA.

Mike Koerner

This time of year it is work with the smoke or don't work.

7 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

The smoke makes it look like another smoggy day in LA.

I got a 10 stop neutral density filter that allows me to broaden my interests when its too smokey to get aerials that don't look like LA.  Here's an example I did from the roadside above Mammoth Lakes.

Sunrise.jpg

• 6 months later...

Archived