Climb above 13,000' - CTSW

Ed Cesnalis

This photo shows 4 peaks with elevations just over or under 14,000'.  This day I had 4 hours of fuel and a passenger yet I never reached a climb rate that was slow in fact I climbed at 85kts.

If you stay light performance up to 15,000' isn't bad, nothing like turbo of course.

Williamson Trojan Barnard Tyndall.jpg

Ed,

I'm sorry. There are only 2 fourteen thousand foot peaks in your photo; Williamson on left and Tyndall on the right.

Neither Russell nor Whitney can be seen in this view. The two center peaks, Trojan Peak on the left and Mount Bernard on the right, block out the more distant fourteeners from this altitude.

I am sure of this since Whitney is characteristically flat on top, as seen from the north, before rolling off toward the west and vertical on the east. And Russell is very steep on its west side.

Further, I was able to verify this with careful manipulation of Google Earth:

59a513020bcbc_WilliamsonTyndallfromthenorth.thumb.jpg.3b6d682e115fdd4b8e0caf826c6dc8f5.jpg

But again, its an awfully nice photo, so who really cares. Fran and I visited the Mountain Light Gallery on our way back from the eclipse. Your photos are every bit as good as Galen Rowell's.

Mike Koerner

7 minutes ago, Mike Koerner said:

Ed,

I'm sorry. There are only 2 fourteen thousand foot peaks in your photo; Williamson on left and Tyndall on the right.

Neither Russell nor Whitney can be seen in this view. The two center peaks, Trojan Peak on the left and Mount Bernard on the right, block out the more distant fourteeners from this altitude.

I am sure of this since Whitney is characteristically flat on top, as seen from the north, before rolling off toward the west and Russell is very steep on its west side.

Further, I was able to verify this with careful manipulation of Google Earth:

59a513020bcbc_WilliamsonTyndallfromthenorth.thumb.jpg.3b6d682e115fdd4b8e0caf826c6dc8f5.jpg

But again, its an awfully nice photo, so who really cares. Fran and I visited the Mountain Light Gallery last weekend. Your photos are every bit as good as Galen Rowell's.

Mike Koerner

Mike,

I said just below or above 14,000' because I was including: Williamson, Trojan, Barnard, Tyndall (and Kaweahs)

Archived