Turbo CT over the Alps!

CT4ME

I wouldn't say it is a total waste. For someone like Ed who is flying at higher altitudes all the time the extra power of the turbo would be nice, compared to normally aspirated. Aslo for someone who is doing a lot of cross country flights at higher altitudes it would be helpful as well.

155 KTAS. Isn't TAS ( and not indicated AS ) the airspeed that determines an overspeed with possible flutter and breakup resulting? There is a good article about that on the Van's RV site. I know my CTSW has a 145 KIAS redline so I would assume that I should not exceed 145 KTAS.

Anyway, this is an area of flight in which I have no experience. Maybe some of you high flyers or technophobes could chime in.

I would not even consider a higher Vne in a CT with a full-span anti-servo trim system.  The flutter I encountered was at around 123kt indicated.  Since the factory reinforcement I have taken the airplane close to the 145kt Vne, but I would not push it.

the CTs with the partial-span tabs seem to be immune to the flutter concern at any reasonable speed.

Love to fly in the area Gica passed over and remembering some of the climbing and skiing many of those mountains years back. Nowadays a few more horsepowers for my CTLS would be great when it gets hot. However I have to tell Gica that according to the route he did not pass over Grossglockner (Austria`s highest mountain) . The glaciercapped mountain he saw and crossed from LOIJ was Grossvenediger ,12054ft, he should have made a left turn over Pass Thurn heading for one of two GA crossings of the Alps there . Anyway, it`s a great country to fly in good weather and it gets phantastically rocky towards Cortina d`Ampezzo.

8 hours ago, Mike Koerner said:

Anselm,

My wife and I drove up to the Kaiser-Franz-Josefs-Hohe (I hope I said that right) under the Grossglockner two years ago. It was a wonderful trip in a beautiful country.

Mike Koerner

Mike,

congratulations, exact spelling! One of the mentioned crossings follows the pass road to or from Zell am See. Did you pass through the Dolomites?

Anselm

Archived