So long Flight Design......

Scrapman1959

You are confusing two different models. The supralight is 472kg. gross but is lighter empty. Not sure but about 285kg. It is basically a stripped out CTSW with very little in it at all not even a heater or baggage doors etc. It is called CTSL and is available with turbo. The CTLS-HL is a fully equipped hamburger with the lot turbo long wings. Design max is 700kg. limited to 600kg. for LSA rules unless exempted, some lsa's are exempted to about 780kg. Empty weight is about 365kg. still not light but usable load is acceptable. The Rotax ULS is the lightest as we all know the ULSi is a fair bit heavier but similar to the 914.

4 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Sounds like that gives you about 520lb useful load.  Respectable and useful.

Yes it is a bit tight for weight but my wife is not very heavy so two up and full fuel we will be on the limit but still ok, minimum baggage though. I would never support flying over weight but the design allows plenty of margin so as long as we skip food for a while we will be ok. 

8 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

The two ATPs that flew CTSWs around the world flew at 1675lb.  Pretty specialized mission and the airplanes were not flown that way day-in, day-out for years.  But still pretty impressive.  I wonder what the takeoff roll and climb performance is at those weights?  

I understand that there are exemptions available in some circumstances for MTOW limitations. As you indicate the takeoff and climb will suffer as will the stall speed but this not necessarily hard on the airframe. Contrary to popular opinion it is not the extra weight of fuel in the wings that causes stress or fatigue on an aircraft but the speed that you fly sure as hell does. In fact in turbulence it is better to have more fuel on board as the extra mass in the wings will help protect the airframe from damage. If you look at the VTURB for most certified aircraft it is slower the lighter it gets. LSA generally don't have charts for this. This statement may generate a lot of argument but I will live with that, basically the MTOW limits are more to do with rules than anything else. Other than performance the weight does not necessarily compromise safety.

Archived