2007 CTSW $63,900 Off Market!!

Buckaroo

Exactly true! These kind of attitudes and stupidity can only lead to unsafe situations! They seem all the same telling me since they work on jet engines and big stuff the “little Rotax weed eater” motor can’t be that tough! 

I think I’m off to school and re-classification my ride to experimental. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My local service center in Helena wanted $900 to do the annual. They’ve never worked on Rotax let alone CTSW. That’s not bad maybe just to get it signed off. Problem is if they actually start pulling stuff apart they’ll probably jack something and cause a unsafe situation. ?

Congrats on keeping the CTSW, I think it’s a good choice.  $900 seems steep for an annual, that is getting toward Lockwood price without the Lockwood experience level!

What worked out for me when I was S-LSA, was to find a good local independent A&P, and I did all the work myself.  I paid him $400 to supervise and look over all my work and sign off the logbook entry.

The problem here is they want $900 but they have never worked on Rotax or CTSW airframe!?

I called my local FAA and he’s emailing me everything I need to do to change to experimental. He thinks it will be pretty straight forward and will only require one visit. 

Should definitely be doable in one visit unless a problem comes up.  Mine took about 3-4 hours.  I had all the paperwork, logbooks, and LOAs/MRAs organized and ready for review, and all the cowlings and inspection covers removed.  

Another thing to pay attention to is all the placards and markings listed in the Operating Manual.  They all have to be present.  Mine was missing the “Spins Prohibited” placard for some reason, so I whipped one out quickly on the spot with my label maker and the DAR was satisfied.  Definitely have a label maker on hand for the visit.

Here are mechanics for LSA trained and Rotax trained in Montana:

KEITH JOHNSON LSRM AIRPLANE

406-548-4994/ kjohnson@bozeman.net

Address : Bozeman, MT, United States

KEITH JOHNSON LSRM AIRPLANE

406-548-4994/ kjohnson@bozeman.net

Address : Bozeman, MT, United States

TOM RENNER LSRM AIRPLANE

360-739-1373/ Toms172m@hotmail.com

Address : Montana, United States

MITCH GOODRICH LSRM AIRPLANE

813-356-9758/ hiflier68@yahoo.com

Address : Billings, MT, United State

11 hours ago, Buckaroo said:

My faa guy in Helena seems ok to get the job done as easily as possible. He tells me since my airplane has been Slsa and has all the build records this will be easy. I’m still testing this situation! We’ll see! 

That would be true. The FAA inspector has computer access to all of the documents that Andy said you would need to get the CD for to switch.

2 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

That would be true. The FAA inspector has computer access to all of the documents that Andy said you would need to get the CD for to switch.

That I did not know!  If the FAA guy seems confident it will be an easy process, and he has all the documents at his fingertips, I’d use him and save some money.

11 minutes ago, Buckaroo said:

Right on Andy! He seems mostly interested in me filling the forms out. He never provided a list of things. I’m hoping it will be a low keyed Montana style good old boy deal and therefore easy! Then I woke up!??

I hope you’re right, but just in case I’d try to have everything I send you in the list ready, just in case.  As I mentioned you probably already have all of it except the form 8130-15 anyway, and it sounds like the FAA should have that.

Yes, I’m trying to be optimistic about this. I think it’s one of these “they can make it easy or they can make it hard” depending on your relationship deals. 

I guess I’ll be attending the CPS 7 day class in Corona Ca. I need the dates and will take my dog and my 5th wheel for a winter escape for a month or so. 

Archived