Wingtip Repair

solarguy54

Solarguy, super interesting pictures showing the inner wing structure and the repair.   Wish I was nearby so I might be able to take a look at how the repair of carbon fiber is done.  If possible, please post pictures as you work thru the rebuild of the wing structure and do the surface finishing.

I just need the coolant bottle and exhaust pipe. There is a rivet in the bottom of the exhaust pipe that needs to be drilled. I would highly suggest that a new stainless rivet be put back in its place otherwise there is nothing here to keep history from repeating itself.

On 10/22/2017 at 11:21 AM, Anticept said:

Alright you two. Share with the class.

Exhaust pipe aft of muffler fell off in flight causing hot exhaust to damage cowling, melt coolant reservoir and damage firewall.  Shows the value of good firewall coating.  Will be repairing firewall and recoating with fire protectant paint.

So Frank Borrmann came over from Germany to do this repair.  He is arguably one of the world's most experiencee and knowledgable CT composite repair guys as his company not only has extensive experience with repairing CTs, but also taught CT composite repair classed for FD corporate.  He also has done prototype development for FD.  I'm thinking about asking him to come over twice a year (March/October) for a couple weeks each time to do CT composite repair if there is enough demand for his services.

Sid Lloyd
LSRM
Kestrel Aviation Services

Because it was at the end of the muffler almost no difference in sound. If a pipe had broken up by a head then that would be different. It definitely burnt the cowl and all the hot gases were directed inside. If this had gone on much longer it may have had a different outcome.

16 hours ago, WmInce said:

I'd say that had to be rather noisy.

Carbon fiber held up pretty good, all things considered.

What does carbon fiber smell like when it's burning?

It smells exactly the same as burning money. ;)

When my exhaust broke just aft of the cylinder, I didn’t notice until I pulled the cowl, likely a couple of flight hours later.  Others said later they thought my airplane sounded a bit different from the other CTs, but not crazy.  I didn’t notice any change, maybe because of my noose canceling headset.  I did hear a change in some of the GoPro video I reviewed after the repair.

Sid, with all of the composite aircraft in the U.S., such as Cirrus and the new GA composite aircraft, most of the sailplanes and a large percentage of Light Sport aircraft, I would think someone who has been trained in the art of composite repair would be able to set up to do a full schedule traveling around the U.S. to do repairs?  To my knowledge, there is no one currently doing this.  If I were a young guy who was thinking of a good business to go into, I would consider specializing in composite air frame construction/repair and set up with some facilities thru the U.S. so I would be within a few hour flight from those needing repairs.

Archived