Rotax 16 hour class question??

Buckaroo

If one were to successfully attend these three sets of classes would that person be trained adequately to perform the 5 year rubber change? 

If yes what special tools would you need?

If you go Elsa can you do your own annuals? 

What couldn’t one perform?

Thanks 

If you go E-LSA and get the repairman certificate for your airplane (which just requires filling out a form), you. can do ANY work on it, including rubber change, annual, removing BRS, rebuilding the engine, or adding your own custom designed landing gear...anything.  The airplane is in the experimental category and anybody can do any work on an experimental except the annual (which is why you want the repairman certificate, which allows annuals).

Now, just because you can do anything doesn’t mean you should.  If you need serious engine work, you should only do that yourself if you have taken the approrpiate Rotax training.  But there is a lot you can do on the engine like carb rebuild and sync, hose changes, and other minor work that doesn’t require any particularly intense skills.  Once you start getting into cylinders, heads, and getting into the case, you want trained people doing it.

Thanks for the info! During this early part of this winter I’ll come up with a plan. I’m waiting for a whisper in my ear to tell me what I should do. Montana is strange in that there are very little services available and people just do stuff on their own. 

Does a rubber change require the engine pull out a ways and if so is that hard? Is the hose change special tool required? 

Thanks 

Just remember anyone, including a trunk monkey, can do work on an experimental aircraft. But, unless you built it EAB (experimental, amateur built) you will need the 16 hour course and the appropriate FAA certificate to sign off inspections on an E-LSA but only if it's yours. If EAB you don't need the 16 hour course but you still need a FAA certificate to sign off inspections and that only works for the original builder. If you didn't build the EAB the "anyone can work on it" still applies but an A&P would be required to sign off inspections. For S-LSA you need the 3 week course then you can work on and sign off inspections on any S-LSA. Being an A&P works too.

And, what Andy says about just because you can, doesn't mean you should, is right on. About 7 years ago a cylinder head cost about $2K, probably a lot more now. So, screw up a valve job and you could have a major expense.

Archived