Main gear wheel pull to change tire?

Buckaroo

Yes. Take off the three screws to the disk and then the axle nut and the wheel will slide right off. 

If these are Marc brakes then it has straight round sealed ball bearing bearings. No special torque needed when replacing the axle nut. If you have Matco brakes then these are tapered roller bearings and the axle nut needs to a a more specific torque so the tapered bearings function properly.

11 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Yes. Take off the three screws to the disk and then the axle nut and the wheel will slide right off. 

If these are Marc brakes then it has straight round sealed ball bearing bearings. No special torque needed when replacing the axle nut. If you have Matco brakes then these are tapered roller bearings and the axle nut needs to a a more specific torque so the tapered bearings function properly.

Roger, do you have these torque values?  I’ve been kind of doing it by feel and they work fine, but if there is a specific torque value, I want to follow that.

Hi Andy,

Read Mtco installation doc I have listed. Section "L" on axle torque.

http://static.veracart.com/matco/item_pdfs/3671/document1.pdf

I screw the axle nut in and out 2-3 times to make sure the bearings are seated well. Then I tighten the nut so when I give the wheel a pretty hard spin. It should spin no less than 1 full turn  and no more than 2 full turns. It's been a good way to get it right for the last 10 years.

If less than one spin around then the nut is too tight. More than two spins it tends to be too loose. It will settle in a tad as the owner uses the plane more. I have never had an issue in all my years doing it this way. I get to look at all my jobs over the years and assess the races and bearings and have never had a single issue. Some have well over 1K-1500 hours of time.

Those are Matco's. An older set up. That wheel is sure worn funny. Looks like it has had too much pressure and the camber is off. You may want to add washers between the axles halves to make them wear a little more even across.and use a tire pressure around 26-27 psi.

Remember the disc screws are standard US and not metric. Use the proper allen wrench.

53 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Hi Andy,

Read Mtco installation doc I have listed. Section "L" on axle torque.

http://static.veracart.com/matco/item_pdfs/3671/document1.pdf

I screw the axle nut in and out 2-3 times to make sure the bearings are seated well. Then I tighten the nut so when I give the wheel a pretty hard spin. It should spin no less than 1 full turn  and no more than 2 full turns. It's been a good way to get it right for the last 10 years.

If less than one spin around then the nut is too tight. More than two spins it tends to be too loose. It will settle in a tad as the owner uses the plane more. I have never had an issue in all my years doing it this way. I get to look at all my jobs over the years and assess the races and bearings and have never had a single issue. Some have well over 1K-1500 hours of time.

Ah, that’s how I do it.  I didn’t know if there was an actual numeric value I had missed somehow.

Archived