Who has taken the 15 day LSRMR class and impression?

Buckaroo

Tomorrow I will decide whether I will take the 15 day class or not held Jan 22 at Rainbow Aviation. 

My question is for those that have completed the course. Was it worth it and do you feel you learned enough that you can exercise confidently those things allowed by this rating??

Hi Dave,

Give me a call. Too much to discuss and write about here.

"do you feel you learned enough that you can exercise confidently those things allowed by this rating?"

Short answer, No. It will make you legal. It is a necessity if you want to start your education on the mechanical side.

This is like getting out of grade school and you still have to go to middle school, high school and college. They cover so much stuff that is required by the FAA and a lot of it won't be pertinent to just you and your CT. Then you have to go to Rotax school.

All this said if you have a desire to learn you can sit down after classes and read all 5 Rotax manuals and at least 3 CT manuals. Then you'll be up to a senior in high school.

It will all boil down to you investing a lot of your timer after these classes. This is what will make you good at what you want to do.

Hi Roger! For me I’m stuck. Around Montana and Idaho there’s no one trained to do anything Rotax. The way I look at it I can take the two day or 4 day for $1100 or do the 15 day at $3895 but have training at a FD approved service center and be able to get to know Brian and others with knowledge of the CT and Rotax. I guess what I’m thinking 15 days is better than 4 and I’m convinced I either learn this or I’m finished. I just want to make sure I don’t learn enough to be unsafe!

I’ll give you a call on this. 

Thanks 

Dave

I’ll pass the question to them tomorrow before I decide! Tom thanks for the heads up! 

Im under no illusion that with a 15 day course I would be able to compete against experienced folks like you Tom or Roger. It is my only goal to be able to maintain my ride legally and safely while keeping her SLSA. 

Perhaps as the only repair station in Montana I can help others. I have no interest in making money in this endeavor! I’d offer anything I’ve learned to anyone with a Rotax for free on a share my experience basis. I do respect you experts in making a living doing this work as we need you! 

We need to advance light sport enthusiasts as much as we can!

Worth every penny. You only learn basic Rotax service but enough to do your annual inspection. The course paid for itself for me in the first year. I replaced my prop, installed an autopilot and replaced my nose wheel strut. Plus there are smart folks on forums like this that are willing to provide answers and guidance.

Wow nice response! Yes, I’m not interested in starting my own Rotax repair station here in Montana but the future seems bright! I’m just interested in taking care of my plane with annuals and regular maintenance without being negligent in its aircraft operations! For me a two day class is dillusional in thinking one can take care of the safety concerns of the plane! Hopefully 15 days with competent instructors will help as a beginning to learn more. 

We are in the infancy of LSA and maintenance! 

School is a good start,  but you'll have to continue to learn. Then there is absolutely no substitute for experience which is harder to come by if you only work on one plane a year.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it just go in with your eyes open and all that it may entail. Once out of the Rainbow and Rotax classes learning anything else falls on you and how much you dedicate yourself to furthering your education.

I’ve been around a long time and I realize that being a doctor or dog catcher the education is just a license to start learning. My hope on this is I will be taught enough to safely be able to work on my plane. I need to learn so I have confidence in her flying my wife around. I hope to network through this forum and others once I get going for problems I encounter along the way. I never thought buyuthis little bird would lead to building a hanger and now having to get educated to take care of her! This has definitely added a new dimension to my retirement. That’s a good thing I think!???

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

Take your classes and when you're done with those NEVERr be afraid to make a phone call and ask advise.:ive_got_it-1379:

It's far cheaper and easier than the alternative and shows good common sense and furthers education. We're all here in the same boat and willing to help.

Thanks Roger! I love this forum! Don’t be surprised if I pop in on you after the class. I’m pondering a winter road trip in Arizona someplace for a month or so after the class.?

I have been working on motorcycles, boats high speed machinery all my life,

I done 3 engines pulls on CT, sprag clutch, rear seal, carbs, cylinder pull, none

of it is brain surgery, but you have to know all the tricks in order to do the work,

left hand bolts, heating certain parts, etc, special tools for the work. all work

done with Rotax guy.

34 minutes ago, procharger said:

I have been working on motorcycles, boats high speed machinery all my life,

I done 3 engines pulls on CT, sprag clutch, rear seal, carbs, cylinder pull, none

of it is brain surgery, but you have to know all the tricks in order to do the work,

left hand bolts, heating certain parts, etc, special tools for the work. all work

done with Rotax guy.

How far out have you pulled the engine? I know they’ll pull it a few inches to change isolator etc. Have you pulled it off? Is it a big technical thing to do? Also have you pulled the wings?

Pulling the engine is easy. I pull it all the way off during a hose change. I can have it ready to come off the airframe in an hour or less. Putting it back on and rigging the carbs takes a little longer.

The wings are easy too, most of the time. I have run into a couple that were difficult. One had a wire bundle run through the wrong hole, and one needed shims on the front pins. There was one that was a little tough getting the wings back in and seated all the way to get the main pins reinstalled.

2 minutes ago, Tony & Rose said:

Montana -- Just got off the phone with Carol C.  Will make our 2006 CTsw and myself available to you for 'refinement CT training' while you are here.

Hello Tony! Yes I was happy to find out I had a fellow CTSW brother at the training site. I’d love to get with you and pick up some of your knowledge. Things are starting to look better for me and the CTSW here in Montana!??

9 minutes ago, Tony & Rose said:

Montana -- Just got off the phone with Carol C.  Will make our 2006 CTsw and myself available to you for 'refinement CT training' while you are here.

I’d love to fly with you! It’s been do it yourself around here!??

I am really glad to see things are coming together for you and your CT, Buckaroo.

Looking forward to reading your posts in the coming months, while you learn more about the 912ULS and your CTSW.

Maybe you'll be teaching us on some things!

It was a good foundation for me. I had experience with engines and electronics. I had none with the rules and regs of LS or some of the specifics of Rotax and airframe. Having said that I have spent a good deal of time talking with folks on this forum. And lots of calls to FD, Roger, and others with experience. The classes were great but I took more Rotax classes. Joining Rotax Owner was also very helpful.

It ain’t easy and there have been times when I would have liked to let someone else do it. But, it is a part of the fun too. If I took it to a local A&P I would have to spend time and/or money getting them to know FD and Rotax. And even then I would wonder if I could trust them. (“I taught him all I know and he still don’t know nuthin’!”) ?

The local FBO told me he’d do my annual for $900. That would of either solved my problems or hatch a slew of new problems! I just couldn’t get the nerve up to take it in. Why?

I could take it in and pay $900 for the annual indorsement only or if he did indeed work on it he’d probably screw the engine up! All those little pesky things like turning the prop the wrong way, over tightening the oil filter, wrong torque on spark plus, smearing heat transfer paste on the plug ends,  getting air in the oil system etc etc. 

For me it’s either take the class or sell the plane and quit. 

35 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

I would probably pay the FBO and tell them you hope it can be a learning experience and within 3 years they could be doing them without your participation.  Make videos of Rotax specific stuff. Get them what info and support they need to avoid an unfortunate result.

This did go through my mind but the shop is closed to the public due to insurance purposes. They want to round off my bolts in private!?

Archived