Sign in to follow this  
Ed Cesnalis

Light Sport 10,000' Altitude restriction with exception

4 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

What is immediate surroundings? I am flying on a westerly heading with the following scenario. I have a peak at 10,000 feet that I want to cross with 2000 foot clearance, then a 5,500 foot valley then the next peak 20 miles away is 12,000 feet and I want to cross it with 2000 foot clearance. Do I need to descend back down to 8500 feet before starting my climb to cross the next peak at 14,000? What if the next peak is 40 miles away? Where do you draw the line? That is what I want to know.

It doesn't make sense to have a restriction below the flight levels but as long as they do you need the highest point in your flight plan to set the ceiling for the entire flight.

4 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

The people in the FAA who write the regulations don't use common sense, and the FAA lawyers who handle enforcement action don't use common sense. What both of them use are the words that are actually written. To them there is no grey area.

If that were truly the case the FAA would never issue letters of interpretation, and just say “in all cases it means exactly what it says.”

10 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

If that were truly the case the FAA would never issue letters of interpretation, and just say “in all cases it means exactly what it says.”

The FAA issues letters of interpretation because there are more than one way of looking at something, just like the situation we are discussing. The interpretation often comes down to what do the words actually say, and not what common sense thinks they should mean.

A good example of this is instruction time from a sport pilot instructor doesn't count towards the instruction time required for a higher pilot certificate. The intent from the groups who were supporting the sport pilot movement was that it be a stepping stone moving up the path of pilot certification. We all know that a sport pilot instructor teaches the same basic piloting skills to the same standards, but since the regulations only allows sport pilot instructors to train sport pilots the training time can not be used for higher ratings. This came from a lawyer simply looking at the words, and not looking at it with common sense.

20 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

You guys are going to make a mountain. out of a mole hill when there is no exact number.

I have never heard any authority give an exact number.Why beat it up and still  not have an exact number. In your flight area gives you leeway. Why try to limit yourself. The FAA isn't being that limiting.

These guys are indeed arguing for the sake of arguing.  One-up-man-ship at its best, or worst.  The points have been made and we have all learned about as much as we can on this matter.  We had someone on the list a couple of years ago who did that all the time.  He finally left the group when no one fell for the taunts.  This makes me wish we had a button that allowed us to say "i'm not really reading this thread anymore, and i'd like it to stop appearing in my list of threads to read."

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2