Light Sport 10,000' Altitude restriction with exception

Ed Cesnalis

22 minutes ago, Skunkworks85 said:

For EGT:

Richer = Hotter,  Leaner = Cooler

Some planes get flown ROP (rich of peak) and some LOP (lean of peak).  When adjusting mixture the direction reverses as you go past peak or come back prior to peak.

Your equations are only true when you are already LOP.

On 5/29/2019 at 5:07 PM, Ed Cesnalis said:

Some planes get flown ROP (rich of peak) and some LOP (lean of peak).  When adjusting mixture the direction reverses as you go past peak or come back prior to peak.

Your equations are only true when you are already LOP.

That was my understanding.  Leaning makes EGT go up until you hit peak EGT, *then* it starts to cool down.  You don’t want to dwell near the peak, so you either richen the mix away from the peak and run Rich of Peak (ROP), or lean farther and run Lean of Peak (LOP).

LOP usually doesn’t work well on carbureted engines, because inconsistent fuel distribution between cylinders allows some cylinders to run leaner than others and can cause the engine to stumble or quit.

• 5 months later...
On 11/20/2017 at 10:39 AM, Stillflying said:

I use the FAA Sectional Chart grid maximum elevation figures plus 2000’.

*shrug* I use this too. Working on completing my PPL but for now, if I have a problem I'll have an easier time explaining to the FAA that I used their elevation on their chart plus 2,000 instead of 2,000 ft straight down. 

• 1 year later...

Just to add my new guy $0.02 as a new pilot - to me the 2000ft AGL over 10,000 feet comes to the reasonable man concept. IE what would a reasonable sport pilot do in the same circumstances to avoid being negligent and operate safely. 

similar concept in medicine - every patient doesn’t fit the stereotypical mold for whatever ailment they have. As such when I care for someone I do what I believe is reasonable and believe other clinicians in a similar situation would do as well. 

so as long as you can justify your decision and most reasonable sport pilots would agree that made sense I think you’re likely okay. It may not prevent a discussion if someone at the FAA took exception, but I wouldn’t think it would go very far (although my interactions with the FAA have been zero). If it for some crazy reason resulted talking to a judge then the concept of the reasonable man (pilot) applies. 

-edit- sorry for the necro-post. Damn newbies.