BATTERY SIZE

bitten192

I have an aging Shorai LFX18 battery in my REMOS. I'm thinking about replacing it with a Shorai LFX36 which will fit in the original battery box. What's the down side (other than cost and weight) with putting in a higher rated battery? Would there be a problem with the Rotax charging system? 

I thought about replacing my Odyssey with a Shorai for weight, but it only saves around 3lb and adds about $200 to battery cost IIRC.

EDIT:  I stand corrected, a Shorai LFX18L2-BS06 battery is slightly smaller than the PC310 in all dimensions, 3lb less, and $109.99 direct from Shorai, so cheaper than a PC310.  Also 270 CCA  :o  vs 100 for the PC310.  I might have to seriously look into this next time I need a battery.

Lithium batteries are amazing.  A lot of the new lithium batteries now have current control for each individual cell.  Not sure if Shorai batteries have this?  This is good to have for regulation of the charging and discharging with the standard chargers and charging systems in cars/airplanes.

If you use a ground power charger, you need to make sure it isn't one that applies a continuous charge and does not overvolt the battery or it will destroy it quickly. If you can find a charger that only tops the battery at 85% charge too, it will last a LOT longer.

Also, lithium batteries do not cope with extreme temperature well. Temps above 86F shortens the life.

The Shorai batteries ship with foam spacers apparently, so that's nice.

They do also have their own charger, but it needs a specialized connector. You don't need to use this all the time, but it does balance the cells which is strongly recommended to do once in a while for longevity.

Hmmm, let me guess, no aircraft listed?  This battery manufacturer must use the same lawyers as the manufacturer of our NGK spark plugs.

This would fit in our CTSW with some small spacers for length and width and would be about 1.25" higher but I don't recall any components being above the battery to cause interference.  If this fits, I wonder if FD would issue a LOA to use this?  It is proven for use in rough environments such as scooters and motorcycles.  3 times CCA over the Odyssey while saving 4 pounds weight.

Specs for the one I posted link to is LiFePO.  I was thinking about the box but didn't remember there was a top to it.  How about the box for the PC680?  The specs for PC680 say  7.27 x 3.1 x 7.6.  If this box fits all CT's, it could hold an even bigger lithium battery with huge reserve and CCA compared to the PC310 and still probably weigh 4 to 5 lbs less than the PC310.  Specs for PC680 shows 15 lb.  Weight savings would probably over 10 lbs going from Odyssey PC860 to lithium.  Think there's a possibility FD would approve a LOA for this?

The LFX14A2-BS12 would be a good choice.  Here's a Scorpion LiFePo4 that is slightly smaller than the PC310 in all dimensions.  On-board charge management to maintain cell balance with voltage test button, 1.15 lb.  No sales tax and free shipping.  $99.  Interesting chart comparison with Shorai.   Hard to believe that this lithium battery has over twice the CCA of the Odyssey and only weighs 1.15 lbs., which appears to be a little more than 4.5 lb. save over the PC310

https://www.batterystuff.com/batteries/lithium-iron-batteries/scorpion-stinger-12v-ytz5s-motorcycle-atv-scooter-powersport-replacement-battery-sstz5s.html

Archived