Burp enlightened!

Buckaroo

30 minutes ago, Buckaroo said:

Sounds logical thanks Andy! With the oil tank just holding oil I would think over filling is not going to be dangerous for the engine as well! I know some machines (wet sump) can be damaged by over filling!

Overfilling won't do any harm, except to your back when you have to clean all the overflow oil off the belly...  ;)

24 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Hi Dave,

You should at least rotate the prop 2-3 times to make sure there is no hydrolock issues. This is more rare now days, but under the right conditions could happen, especially in a KitFox. The new Rotax oil filters don't have the check valve at this time.

Bent connecting rod from hydrolock.JPG

That looks expensive!? I’ve never heard of hydrolock but I can picture from the name crank case pressures due to no fluid expansion bending something correct? This looks like compression stroke against fluid. 

Why a Kitfox problem??

This is exactly against non compressible fluid. OIL If water got into a cyl. it could do the same.

Kitfox because they mount the oil tank too high and oil siphons towards the cylinders.  The check valve helped fix this. This was just an incident of hydrolock that someone found before start by rotating the prop. 

Archived