Broken Left Door Widow

Sergio Diaz

Well, first of all I'm new here, I've been flying a CTLS here in Colombia for a couple months already and really enjoy the airplane, I'm a 23 year old corporate pilot, my main airplane is an Eclipse Jet 500 and my for fun airplane (not work) is the CTLS. 

Unfortunately today my left widow cracked and I looked all over the internet for parts or a solution without luck, I know you guys are experts on this awesome airplane and can maybe point me on the right direction.

Best regards and I'm happy to have found a forum on this great LSA

Sergio

Hereby I attach a photo of the bird, it has the wheel pants mounted already soon will upload a recent one and by the way it has a nice Rotax 914 turbo engine, CRAZY performance.

IMG_1254.JPG

Tom, one of my mechanics replaced a windshield recently.  I don't know all the details but do know that he had a window shipped and then FD USA sent him directions and also gave directions by phone call to install this.  It turned out extremely well.  This install required strapping to hold it in place while the adhesive held and was involved.  Would it be correct to say installation of a side window would be similar but maybe a little more accessible to clamp and position than a windshield?  Perhaps a side glass could be shipped and installed locally too?

8 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

The only source that I am aware of for the window is the factory. I seem to recall someone having a broken door window 10 years or so ago. IIRC they shipped the door back to Germany for repair.

That seems complicated, I’m studying the posibility on making a custom made window here in Colombia, regulations for LSA are super relaxed here and it should be ok, here’s a photo of the damage.

0193CC67-654D-458D-ABE7-B91CDC4D4F21.jpeg

If you can get directions from FD like my mechanic was able to do, and the method of attachment/construction of the side glass to the door frame is similar to the windshield method of construction/attachment, you should be able to fix this.  For the windshield, it is first glued into the frame and then this is finished flush with the surface with epoxy body filler.

Arian at FD USA might be able to provide advice.

Another option is Lockwood Aviation Service, Sebring, Florida.

A few years ago, i saw them do a window replacement on a CT door, very similiar damage like the one pictured above.

==================================== 

(863) 655-5100

Joe Benton (service manager)

Tech. Avail: 9-10am, 2-3pm EST

Normal Hours: 9-5 Monday-Friday

8-12 Saturday Eastern Time

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I am afraid to ask what that might have cost!

Don't hold me to this, but . . .  I saw the repair about 3-4 years ago. I was curious about the cost, so I asked Joe Benton. I seemed to recall him telling me it was about $1500, excluding shipping.

32 minutes ago, WmInce said:

Don't hold me to this, but . . .  I saw the repair about 3-4 years ago. I was curious about the cost, so I asked Joe Benton. I seemed to recall him telling me it was about $1500, excluding shipping.

Not bad if that is the correct number.  About half what I feared.

• 3 weeks later...

Sergio, what year is your CTLS and what is the empty weight with 914 turbo engine and in flight adjustable prop? Are you using the Air master prop? Can you provide us with some performance numbers at various altitudes etc? What is your fuel burn at 35” manifold and 5400 rpms? 

Archived