Jump to content
Adam

2015 CTLSi - Jubilee Edition - Loaded - $149K

Recommended Posts

Hi Roger,   That is the buyer!   He came over this weekend to inspect/fly, and we agreed on the price today.   You'll be doing the future maintenance, and Eric will be asked to be his transition CFI / Ferry Pilot.   We still have to do paperwork and all that good stuff, so it will be a few more weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Warmi said:

It sold pretty fast - I guess the LSA market is still decently strong ... even with the basic med rule out.

It is true that someone who is operating with sport pilot privileges can only fly a LSA. However many of the newer LSA aircraft are wonderful aircraft in their own right, regardless of what pilot privileges you are exercising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Warmi said:

It sold pretty fast - I guess the LSA market is still decently strong ... even with the basic med rule out.

I decided to get a PPL instead of Light Sport, since I wanted to fly at night, but still went LSA for aircraft choice.  It's the only "affordable" way get a modern airframe with modern avionics.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I agree ... that’s the very reason I got myself the Sting LSA , because I wanted a modern , almost new,  aircraft for a decent price.

I am just curious how much of the market was due to various medical related issues - the LSA market was pretty small to begin with so it is interesting to see how things gonna unfold going forward.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SlingPilot said:

Adam, what did you replace your CTLS with? 

I have not bought anything yet.  I always sell first, then buy  (fear of having two planes and one hangar I suppose).   After 3 CT's, I had been leaning toward a Tecnam P2008 with 914 Turbo, BRS and Garmin G3X avionics suite, just to be different.  I have always loved Tecnam's fit and finish.  I intend to do a little looking around before plunking down my deposit.  It actually feels a tad bit liberating to have an empty hangar for awhile!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2018 at 2:49 PM, Warmi said:

It sold pretty fast - I guess the LSA market is still decently strong ... even with the basic med rule out.

I (like to) think its somewhat of a misnomer that all Sport Pilots had medical issues and thus were forced to LSA in order to remain in the air.  I think the 2nd chapter of folklore was with the advent of basic med, the LSA market would dry up like a fart in the wind.   I never had such medical restrictions, I was always attracted to the modern air frame and low operating costs.  4.5 GPH on MoGas sure beats 11.5 GPH on 100LL.  

For me it was always about mission.   I don't fly coast to coast, I'm a fair weather burger chaser.  I fly for fun, the joy is getting to the destination, not being at the destination (like it is for my wife).  The majority of my flying is either alone or with other pilots chasing a burger on a beautiful So Cal day.   I looked long and hard at new Cirrus SR20, 22, and Cessna 182's.   Seemed like way too much capital and ongoing operating costs to go get a hamburger!   Instead of changing my mission to fit the bigger plane, I was always looking for a way to have "new" "modern" "safe" "low operating cost" and relatively speaking "low capital costs".   Some folks are "all in" and fly constantly.  For me, flying is a hobby - one of many conflicting priorities.  There are times I go for 2 or 3 months without flying and others when I'm up two or three times a week.   An LSA lets me fly when I want to fly, and keeps the total carrying cost low.  

A fully loaded Cirrus SR22 GTS goes for $750,000 right now.   Contrast that with a brand new fully loaded CT at $172,000.     It's a complete apple to an orange in capability, but my mission remains fair weather burger chasing - so for my world, the most cost effective remains an LSA! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Adam said:

I have not bought anything yet.  I always sell first, then buy  (fear of having two planes and one hangar I suppose).   After 3 CT's, I had been leaning toward a Tecnam P2008 with 914 Turbo, BRS and Garmin G3X avionics suite, just to be different.  I have always loved Tecnam's fit and finish.  I intend to do a little looking around before plunking down my deposit.  It actually feels a tad bit liberating to have an empty hangar for a bit. 

Do you yet know what cruise speeds (P2008/914) are realized?  I assume 16k is best speed but speeds at lower more comfortable altitudes are of great interest as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Do you yet know what cruise speeds (P2008/914) are realized?  I assume 16k is best speed but speeds at lower more comfortable altitudes are of great interest as well.

I did a search on Tecnam Talk (their user forum) and didn't see anyone talking about speed.   I'll have to ask around.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a 2008 Tecnam at my field. From the factory it is over pitched with a fixed pitch prop and only gets 5200 rpm WOT. Performance is in par with the CT except the CT when propped correctly is faster at top end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My P2008 is easily 5kts faster than my CTLS was.  I fly 115-120 on a regular basis.  I was down around 110-112 in the CTLS.  I had my CT prop set for best cruise and the P2008 is at the factory setting.  So I know it could be a bit better.  Maybe having a 914 helps vs 912.  But you only use Turbo during take off and climb.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Scott Lee said:

 But you only use Turbo during take off and climb.

 

Why in the world would you not use it?  I fly behind a 914  in a friends plane and we cruise up to 16,000' at a normalize 100hp.  pushing 160kts true.

You could get within 10kts of that in the P2008 if you did the same.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scott, not sure why your CTLS was slow?  Was your prop pitched for 5600 rpm for cruise?  Everyone I know who owns a CT can fly at 120kts indicated when prop is pitched this way.  We flew a 6+ hour trip yesterday and our true AS was 127kts in a CTLS.  My CTSW is slightly faster than this CTLS so I have the capability to fly at least at this speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2018 at 5:15 PM, Ed Cesnalis said:

Why in the world would you not use it?  I fly behind a 914  in a friends plane and we cruise up to 16,000' at a normalize 100hp.  pushing 160kts true.

You could get within 10kts of that in the P2008 if you did the same.

If you try turbo in cruise manifold pressure is in the red zone and RPM are in the red.  As to altitude, I never exceeded the LSA license restriction of 10,000 feet so I have no idea how fast I could fly higher.  But  everything I've read regarding other planes says they fly faster the higher you go.  I also kept the RPM no more than 5,500 as 5,600 is in the yellow.

FYI - I'm taking my practical test for private pilot this Wednesday and assuming I pass I'm planning on putting my 2017 Tecnam P2008 on the market in order to buy a used Cirrus SR22T.  I'm going to price it to sell fast.  If anyone is interested PM me and I'll give more details.  I'll post it in the For Sale forum when I'm ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Scott Lee said:

If you try turbo in cruise manifold pressure is in the red zone and RPM are in the red.  As to altitude, I never exceeded the LSA license restriction of 10,000 feet so I have no idea how fast I could fly higher.  But  everything I've read regarding other planes says they fly faster the higher you go.  I also kept the RPM no more than 5,500 as 5,600 is in the yellow.

Ah,

I bet there is a window like between 8,000 and 10,000' where your MP could be in the green?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a nice breakfast with Eric (Copper City) and Walt this morning at KFUL (FUllerton, CA).  Off they go on their way to AZ!   My CTLSi has a new owner and home...  Time to decide what's next up for me!?  Tecnam P2008 Turbo?  Move up to 4 seats? (Tecnam P2010, Cirrus SR22, Cessna 182) who knows - but figuring it out is half the fun for me!

DSC_0023.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0037.jpg

DSC_0039.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-03-18 at 11.56.26 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Walt got a great airplane Adam!  Thanks for the hospitality and looking forward to seeing what you fill the hanger with next :) .  If it's a Cirrus, let us know, Cheryl and I are both Cirrus Instructors!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×