landing tail draggers

ct9000

Now that the landing full flaps / min speed discussion has died down, this is not a CT topic but may start a new round of posts.

I don't  3 point land my tail dragger. Feel free to jump in because there are two schools here as well. Both camps are valid but do not normally see eye to eye.

I do both on a regular basis, it kind of depends on my mood. Our trusty Taylorcraft handles either exceptionally well. With a Piper Cub from the back seat I preferred wheel landings. If I am in something new with stiff gear and plenty of runway I will likely do a wheel landing. Soft spongy gear I will do a three point. When I made my first flights in a Piper Pawnee and Cessna Ag truck I did wheel landings to start out. They work better for the Truck. The Pawnee does either just fine.

Thank you for the intelligent discussion. I use a tail low wheeler for my Skyfox because the wing tends to mask the rudder, not so nice in a crosswind. Also I agree some aircraft are better using 3 pointers and heavier ones it does not seem to matter.

WHAT A WONDERFUL COUNTRY, Where the farmer can exercise his airplane before going to work in the morning.

The grass strip is in the banana field, a quarter mile from my office. The strip is 100 ft wide and 1000 ft long with no obstruction on either end, at 600 ft MSL.

Farmer

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Many of my flying buddies fly taildraggers.  The CT can keep up with most of their antics, but there are a few short, rough strips they visit that are not “CT safe”.  If I ever sell the CT (not likely), it will probably be for something with a tailwheel.

Well, since you are ELSA.

28870136-3d-render-of-a-mad-scientist-next-to-a-question-mark-symbol-Stock-Photo.jpg

Archived