Can you soar your CT?

Ed Cesnalis

20 minutes ago, Mike Koerner said:

Above Ellery Lake on an early summer morning, looking east-southeast toward the south shore of Mono Lake from 2 miles northeast of Tioga Pass.

They thermal nicely too.

Mike Koerner

Okay,

Here Jeremy is  flying to Mammoth while I shoot my camera.  He has Tioga, Mono, Parker and Donohue Passes to choose from.  Any of which will make us feel like a bug when we 'pass' thru.

Eastside High Passes.jpg

1 minute ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Any trouble restarting, especially in cold weather?

I have landed out once due to a failure to restart but that was not my CT.

The game is to deadstick it on the runway and not have to land out or use the starter.  This ridge is 5,000' above our field and within 25 miles.  The same lift that I soar will exist along the crest on the way home too.  CTs are easy restarts but they do become cold starts quickly.

5 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

I have landed out once due to a failure to restart but that was not my CT.

The game is to deadstick it on the runway and not have to land out or use the starter.  This ridge is 5,000' above our field and within 25 miles.  The same lift that I soar will exist along the crest on the way home too.  CTs are easy restarts but they do become cold starts quickly.

Cold enough that you need choke?

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Cold enough that you need choke?

You do get help from the relative wind.  

I was soaring my old Challenger and the failure to restart was because I didn't have the choke  toggle on the panel hooked up.  I was deploying the chokes and hand propping but couldn't do that from the air.  So in that case the need for choke did prevent the restart.

Archived