Jump to content
2018 Page Fly-in Cancelled! Read more... ×
Admin

11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

Recommended Posts

Wayne Ferson is coming in N207WF.  Plan to fly in on Thursday (have to teach Wednesday) and leave on Sunday.   Looking forward to this!   WF

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Who's going to Bryce Canyon? Who's going to Page? 

Is there a LIST of people that are going to the 11th annual Fly-in? If not, can we start one?

I am going to BOTH destinations... Who Else?

I posted a separate thread about this a few days ago but did not get any responses.

What time are people planning to arrive at Bryce?  Do we have a Van there? Is there someone "in charge" with an itinerary or are we just Winging it, Pun intended.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DJ,  Did not see that previous thread.  Sorry.  I have been away from home on travel quite a bit the last few weeks.  

I am nominally "in charge" coordinating this.  I have a running list but as it is changing by the day as late intended participants add their names in and others have to cancel for a variety of reasons.  I will put the list of names onto the forum here near the end of this week as by then it will - hopefully - be pretty much firmed up.  Right now there are 9 planes going to Bryce.  No van there but Ruby's Inn where we are staying will pick up at the airport; call for the shuttle:  (435) 834-5341.  I am arriving at Bryce, wx permitting, Monday October 15 well before noon and I will be staying around the airport to welcome arrivals and coordinate as needed (though I will send my wife on to Ruby's upon arrival).  The schedule at Bryce is free play...no real agenda other than for everyone to enjoy themselves at Bryce Canyon.  Dinner at Ruby's is my plan and we will work out with everyone as they arrive if they want to do dinner together as a group or on their own.  The only thing we need to decide if we want to fly out as a group to Page on Wednesday midmorning; that is the only "agenda item" and that will be worked out as each plane arrives...I'll put that list together then and we will set up a time, probably dinner, to confirm and brief it.  Tuesday is free play to do whatever you want...intentionally this pre-event is being set up with no agenda other than for folks to do what they want in the area.   

My cell number is (505) 250-8417.

Olav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you flying into Bryce...come prepared for chilly temps.  Nights and into the midmorning hours temps are projected to be well below freezing.  Daytime highs will be on the cool side also.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK folks.  Just a week to go now until the Page Fly in kicks off.  Still rooms available at the Page Clarion if you think you can make it.

Any questions please feel free to give me a call or a text message at (505) 250-8417 or PM me.  And check in with this forum through the weekend in case there are any last minute announcements or issues that come up.

Olav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For any CTs or other Light Sports flying to Bryce (or early to Page) and coming through Albuquerque from the east on Monday, there will be a flight of two going out from Double Eagle II Airport (KAEG) at 0700 Monday morning headed to Bryce (KBCE).  Welcome to join up if it works for you...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NOTE FOR BRYCE CANYON AIRPORT PRE-EVENT ATTENDEES:  Wx Monday morning 15OCT for Albuquerque at this point looks ok, barely, for my departure early enough to arrive at KBCE by noon though like all longer term progs that is certainly changeable one way or the other.  HOWEVER, if I am delayed and not there when you arrive please call Ruby's Inn at (435) 834-5341 to request the shuttle.  ALSO...please text me at (505) 250-8417 when you arrive and advise your hotel room number so I can coordinate things with everyone for the evening.  Thanks.

Olav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Robin and John Sullivan from Santa Paula have to cancel the fly-in this year.  Work got in the way.   Hope to see you all next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry to hear it John.  We will miss you and hope to see you there next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is the 2018 Annual Page CT and Light Sport Fly-in Roster as of this evening.  Subject to change!  Please advise by email or calling me regarding  information for your name where you see blanks or any error(s).

Olav

Bergmann, Lee ("AzLeeJay") & Christine Phoenix, AZ RV-12 253VA (253) 921-0477   Bryce and Page
Bertram, Bill & Jody Shiocton, Wisconsin CTSW N499CT (920) 843-1483   Bryce and Page
Carlson, Ted & Kurt Nashville, TN CTSW N536CT (615) 495-1445 tjcarlson@bellsouth.net Page only
DJ Todd & Fran Mesa, AZ CTLS N172LM ? djtodd@yahoo.com Bryce and Page
Ferson, Wayne Hermosa Beach, CA CTSW N207WF (310) 606-0214   Page only
Greer, Tim Phoenix, AZ CTSW N531CT (480) 232-1101 tgreer@azctflyer.com Page only
Grinolds, Tom & Rich Turner ? CTLS N771TX (425) 985-8866   Page only
Harsch, Walt & Billie Green Valley, AZ CTLSi N814WB ?   Page only
Ince, Bill ("Flying Monkey") Clearwater, Florida CTSW N663CT (727) 424-9004   Page only
Jefts, Duane & Larry  Tucson, AZ CTLS N413L (636) 751-3786   ?
Johnsen, John-Olav ("Olav") & Lisa Albuquerque, NM CTSW N44BZ (505) 250-8417 olav51@icloud.com Bryce and Page
Kreienkamp, Ron & Jan Camp Verde, AZ CTLSi N23RJ (314) 606-7044 ron@loretel.com Bryce and Page
Langan, John & Linda Santa Barbara, CA Sportstar N70MX (805) 698-5656 jlangan@compsensor.com Page only
Leathers, Brian Phoenix, AZ Driving n/a (623) 512-3306   Page Only
Lee, Scott Moline, IL CTLS N909KM (563) 320-1889   Page Only
Liebold, Torsten & Elizabeth Tucson, AZ RV-12 N128TL (520) 955-0171   Page Only
McEvoy, Peter ("TigerBait") & RoLayne Phoenix, AZ CTSW N259SW (480) 818-3819   Bryce and Page
Olmedo, John & Hollie Bountiful, Utah CTSW ? (801) 668-3288 olmedo.john@yahoo.com Bryce and Page
Roberts, Gary Marana, AZ Siai Marchetti N2174B (520) 307-7231   Page Only
Solove, Gregg Albuquerque, NM CTLS N391CT (505) 681-7189   Bryce and Page
Swenson, Darryl & Carol Merrifield Friday Harbor, WA Diamond DA40NG 172L (206) 999-8185 darrylswenson@gmail.com ?
Wade, Phil & Brian Caplan Belleville, MI CTLS N816W (313) 570-6810 816wade@gmail.com Page Only
Walker, Andy Winder, GA CTSW N509CT (706) 461-4713   Page only
Welch, Phillip Mimbres, NM CTSW N770L (575) 654-0985   Page only
Wren, Rodney & Kathy Hugo, OK Kitfox SS7 N357RW (580) 513-8153   Page only
Young, Mike & Kate Anderson Rogers, AR CTSW N534CT (209) 597-0163   Bryce and Page

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For folks that were/are planning on the Pre-event at Bryce it now appears that only 3 planes as of now will be going in there.  Reason:  Weather.  I just cancelled my reservation for both Monday and Tuesday at Ruby's Inn as New Mexico is under a winter weather advisory starting this evening late through Monday with wind, snow, and MVFR to IFR conditions.  

The rooms at Ruby's were set up under a group reservation "Pilot Fly-in".  FYI - if you need to cancel you might run into the same issue I did...the girl who answered said she could not cancel by phone as it was a group reservation (huh?!) and to email my cancel request to:  Brycefits@gmail.com.  I did but will follow up once again with a phone call...maybe will speak to someone who is more helpful.  

Sorry that our long planned pre-event is fizzling.  Weather dictates our flying of course.  Still looking to see you all in Page.

Olav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK.  Follow up phone call to Ruby's Inn (435) 834-5341 got through to someone who seemed to know what to do and cancelled my individual reservation in the Pilot Fly-in Group.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Night time temps will be in the low 20's. A little cool to try and leave the plane overnight and try and start the next day. The highs are only around 44F. After 11 years this is without a doubt the coldest Oct and fly-In weather we have ever seen. It seems there are more storms in the western US to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, this is unusual.  Latest Accuweather for Bryce for Monday night is a low of 18 degrees!  

I spoke with Ty Ramsey, the KBCE Airport Manager this evening and told him few if any folks would be coming in for the pre-event now.  But that he should be seeing a flight of 3 - 6 planes each morning during the Page Fly-in itself as folks flew in for breakfast...unless of course the weather gods decide to dump on us for that part of the fly in also!  And that we would try for the pre-event again next year.  Tough October.

Olav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Bryce Canyon Pre-Event is officially cancelled.  

We will still do group sightseeing flights to Bryce Canyon and its airport later this week for breakfast at Ruby's Inn as part of the Page Fly-in.

Olav

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that is a wise call because of this odd weather. Oct. in AZ is usually perfect and is why we have always gone up to this area this time of year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/9/2018 at 6:09 AM, DJ Todd B said:

Who's going to Bryce Canyon? Who's going to Page? 

Is there a LIST of people that are going to the 11th annual Fly-in? If not, can we start one?

I am going to BOTH destinations... Who Else?

I posted a separate thread about this a few days ago but did not get any responses.

What time are people planning to arrive at Bryce?  Do we have a Van there? Is there someone "in charge" with an itinerary or are we just Winging it, Pun intended.

 

I am going to KBCE. I will be there Monday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

URGENT NOTICE

DUE TO WEATHER ISSUES IN THE FOUR CORNERS AND EASTWARDS THE 2018 CT AND LIGHT SPORT FLY-IN IS CANCELLED AS AN ORGANIZED EVENT.

Clarion Inn cancellation policy is 6pm day of arrival.

Folks, sorry for this...and if anyone wants to fly on in on their own please do so.  However, prog for New Mexico, SW Colorado, SE Utah, and Northern Arizona for Wednesday is not good.  And while it may not turn out to be as bad as predicted we do not want to put anyone at risk.  Additionally, the weather in Page looks to be unsettled during the course of the fly-in.  This is very unusual weather for the Southwest and this is the first time we have had to cancel the event due to weather.  It looks like even the organizers (Olav and Tim) are going to have a hard time getting out on Wednesday...Olav due to high wind and Tim due to predicted rain/snow MVFR in northern Arizona.  
 

ALL ATTENDEES PLEASE RESPOND TO OLAV AND TIM WHEN YOU READ THIS.  WE ARE FOLLOWING UP THIS FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT WITH INDIVIDUAL CALLS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ADDENDUM TO URGENT NOTICE

For anyone who decides to still continue on to Page on their own, please advise Olav and Tim with a note here or a call.

Again, sorry for this but weather is what it is and unfortunately we can't custom order it!  Safety is paramount and trumps all else.

We will do the Page CT and Light Sport Fly-in again next year.  October 2019 dates to be determined.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×