11th Annual CT/LSA Fly-in, Page AZ Oct 17-21

Admin

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about this but it is a mature decision.  It is a bit easier here in Arizona than trying to fly across the country.  Jan and I will definitely go to Page this week, depending on the weather, Wednesday or Thursday.  It appears as if we won't be the only ones and look forward to see those who can fly in.

Late spring in the Southwest is not good due to almost daily, very strong southwesterly winds from mid-April through early to mid-June.  September might be a possibility though it is generally still hot - mid to high 80s - in Page meaning high density altitude issues especially at many of our sightseeing/breakfast stops plus thermal turbulence starting early.  But we can sound everyone out on that as an option.  This is very frustrating for everyone and Tim and I can only stress that we thought this through carefully and finally decided to scrub based on flight safety above all other considerations.  A number of our pilots are low time, and/or new to Light Sport.  Few have IFR ratings or experience which even if our planes are not IFR certified the rating and experience at least adds significantly to capability for those with that...and without the chance of inadvertent flight into IMC and a bad outcome under the conditions right now increase.  

We will start planning for next year and will consider alternative dates.  But historically, October is far and away the best month for flying conditions here in the Southwest...this year a notable - and first time - exception.  It doesn't do much good to plan for good seasonal conditions elsewhere if the Page destination seasonal conditions are not.

Concur . . . . you guys definitely made the right call. Well done!

Disappointed Andy and I could not make the trip. That make 3 years in a row.

During this time of year, the Gulf of Mexico turns into a constant “storm generator.”  We have been bitten multiple times with poor weather emanating from the Gulf. During Hurricane Patricia, it took us a week to finally get home, to Georgia and Florida.

It’s a great trip . . . when you’ve got the weather.

Yup...your return trip is still the epic one we talk about!  ?  You definitely earned the Long Flight merit badge for that one. ?  Here in the Southwest our spring is nothing but wind, summers are high density altitude with frequent afternoon t'storms, and then along comes October...and - usually - calm, balmy, smooth wonderful flying days.  Not this year though.  Every region has its particular seasonality weather to confound flying.  Sure hope you can make it next year.  You sure have earned a trip after being knocked out of it for 3 years now. 

My Pennsylvania group (3 planes) made the flyin in 2015. We got ahead of the weather that stranded Bill and Andy for a week on the trip home. We flew from daylight till dark which is only 11 hours in October. That year, pilots for California didn’t make the flyin because of weather. Last year, our group flew to Paige the week after Labor Day and spent a week. We were tied down when a massive thunderstorm came through that blew a hanger over. You can’t predict the weather.

We had a fatal crash this afternoon late just a few miles from my home base, KAEG here in Albuquerque.  Cessna 182 based at KAEG and on approach to the airport reported icing and power loss to the tower just before contact lost.  From the overhead view from a local tv station helo, it hit slightly nose down and very hard and while the parts are all there, it is totally crumpled.  Only left about a 75 - 100 foot skid mark in the dirt and ended up with the nose pointed back about 135 degrees out from the skid trail.  Totally destroyed.  Man and woman died on impact.  Conditions here were (and continue) winds 26 gusting 35, low overcast, and intermittent mixed snow and rain showers.  No ID yet but I'm sure I know who the pilot is, or at least I know of him...it's not a big airport and, as is the case for most of us at our respective home fields, we pretty much get to know each other.  There will be some somberness at the Bombing Range Cafe at KAEG.  And this is a sad reminder of why we cancelled the Fly-in.  These unusual October conditions across the lower Four Corners created too much potential for risk.  Fly safe everyone.

We will start planning for the 2019 Page CT and Light Sport Fly-in.  Dates to be set shortly.  While these conditions and the cancellation are discouraging, flight safety is THE most important criterion in the planning.  And this was the first time in 11 years that we had a weather cancellation.  Odds are that "normal" October conditions (balmy, calm, clear) will be the case next year.

Finally, if anyone has a problem with a cancellation at the Clarion, let me know.  I spoke with the GM this afternoon and was assured that no one will be held accountable for a non-arrival under these circumstances.  In fact, she had her staff calling individuals they had not heard from to find out if they want to cancel.  Still, to be safe...call and cancel.  Be sure to identify that you are part of the CT Pilot Group.

Olav

Pictures from Lake Powell from around 2pm on Wed...  'Seems like a good decision to cancel the fly-in.  We hope those who made it to Page will see some sunshine and enjoy some great flying!  Weather looks a bit iffy for the weekend.

powell wed 2pm 2.png

powell wed 2pm.png

Page fly in 2018 update.

So far 5 planes. Starting on the right, we have Larry Jefts.  He came the farthest  (Honolulu, HI) and has the oldest plane here (1969) Cessna 172 K

Then Carol Swenson. She drove the farthest _Friday Harbor Washington to Page (with Darryl's tug for his Diamond 40)

At the far end, Darryl Swenson, What a beautiful new Diamond 40 Diesel he showed up with. He easily gets newest plane and concorse de elegance.

Then Jan Kreienkamp who came in with Hubby Ron. Ron took his CTLSi experimental and looks slim and trim this year.

Then on the far left we have Mike "Mikey70" from Rogers, Arkansas on the web site.  His first time so he is the newbee and fits right in.

Next is Christine and Lee Bergmann. They were voted the youngest/best looking, couple here. There was only one vote and that was Lee.

Last is me, Duane Jefts.  My job is to keep Larry on the straight and narrow.IMG_3854.thumb.jpg.e46126950ae9d656deafcb07b8209bd6.jpg

Finally the wx looks like it cleared up there.  Breaking up in northern New Mexico finally also.  Albuquerque had three days of high wind, low ceilings, and rain/snow showers.  Worst October I have seen here in my 36 years living here.  

Next year in Page!!!

• Admin2 unpinned and unfeatured this topic

Archived