Ipad 12.9

CTMI

What started as an inquiry into what's possible, turned into a testament as to how spacious the CT truly is.

I mounted an iPad 12.9 in the cockpit. It's height is the same as the mushroom's and so it actually fits and looks nicer than a regular iPad. There's no loss of visibility as it doesn't stick up above the dash and there's no loss of legroom as it doesn't protrude below the mushroom. It doesn't touch the door but gets within about an inch.

The map is just enormous and I run both synthetic vision and maps with traffic simultaneously. 

There are very few planes that can fit this large of a screen. 4 hours of flight and all works great. 

IMG_0674.JPG

IMG_0748.PNG

Nope, because the bottom is in line with the mushroom, so if your knees don't hit the mushroom, they won't hit the screen. 

Ingress/egress same thing, my knees might touch it when I swing them in but they don't bang it and I haven't changed how I get in and out. I'm 6'4"

there is one downside and that is that when you open up the door vent to unlock the door, you have to reach around the iPad a little bit as it falls on the front 1/3 line of the vent. It's really not a big deal though. 

The other caveat is that I've seen pictures of panels where the dynon D 100 is further to the left then mine.  In those cases fitment might be problematic.

The other thing that might be worth mentioning is that the center rectangle of the ctsw is the exact size of this iPad. I mean within mm. If I were to do a panel upgrade, I would strongly consider making the center panel nothing but an iPad 12.9 for an ultra sleek look.

Oh I guess I should mention that I used a ram mount, and in the places where it touched the mushroom, I used a grinder to grind down the mount "stringers" to ensure a flush placement, otherwise it would stick out an inch and look horrible. 

IMG_0679.JPG

On 1/27/2018 at 11:34 AM, JLang said:

I have considered this location, but assumed it would block visibility; interesting to hear that's not the case.  Will it block ventilation?  Andy, you have this setup, right (smaller ipad)?

Yes, I use a similar setup with a full sized iPad.  It doesnt block any visibility.

Archived