FlyingMonkey

Cold Weather Roughness?

34 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

The engine normally runs lean in the 4K rpms and if you fly there in cold and make it even leaner then it will be rough. No reason to fly in the 4K rpm range unless you are coming in for a landing. It smooths out in the 5K rpms because it runs richer there. The engine is designed to run in the 5k rpms.

Actually if you are doing flight training, the upper 4000's puts you at maneuvering speed. Seems like a good reason to be operating in that range to me.

No one says you can't, but just accept the operational differences. So you'll be lean and have and possibly have a slight vibration.

18 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

The engine normally runs lean in the 4K rpms and if you fly there in cold and make it even leaner then it will be rough. No reason to fly in the 4K rpm range unless you are coming in for a landing. It smooths out in the 5K rpms because it runs richer there. The engine is designed to run in the 5k rpms.

Thanks Roger, that confirms the behavior I see.

The reason I often run in the 4000-4900rpm range is that I'm often flying alongside slower, draggier airplanes that have trouble getting much past 80mph.  I know it's not ideal, but I don't want to leave my buddies entirely in the dust.  :)