Chute replacement costs/annual too?

Kent

Hello all!

New to this forum.  Shopping for an aircraft.  Early in my search...downsizing from a Saratoga Turbo, two boys going to college, don’t need the seats!  Want to gather as much info as possible prior to purchase.  Wanted to inquire about the range of costs for chute replacement.?  Owned a Cirrus previously,  sold it prior to replacement.  Also inquiring to annual costs, generally.. I know AP cost vary regionally.   Thanks in advance!

Hi Kent,

I'm a former longtime Cirrus owner (SR20 then SR22), so helpfully I can give you some perspective.

On the parachute, mine is coming up.  It's every six years, and cost is about $1,500-$2,000 as I understand it.  That doesn't include rocket, which is every second 6-year cycle, and rocket about doubles cost.

I've had my annuals done by Tom Baker in Olney Il, which I believe will be the closest CT service center to you.  They've run about $1,100 plus or minus, and I've typically had some ancillary things done which is included in that price.  I've found Tom to be very reasonably priced, and importantly I've been very satisfied with his work.  Further he's a CFI, so he can test fly the plane which is a big help.  Instruction too.  He's been an extremely good resource to me, at least at the quality of the best Cirrus service centers.

Overall, my annual cost of ownership in the CT has been about 1/5 to 1/10th of the Cirrus.  Totally different world.  Part of that is that I fly considerably fewer hours, as the plane is much more restricted weather-wise, being VMC only and much less tolerant of winds and turbulence than the Cirrus.

I've been very happy as a CT owner.  It's an incredible plane, with technology that's better than my Avidyne equipped Cirrus.  Dynon has been wonderful to work with.  Plane is fun to fly.  I really wanted a plane that would be fun to fly for $100 hamburger trips, and it's been excellent for that.  Other CT owners use it more for trips than I do, but being VFR only, and the low payload (mine as a newer CTLSi has a lower payload than most CT's), I don't use it much for travel.

Happy to answer any other questions, especially re Cirrus to CT comparisons.

Andy

"On the parachute, mine is coming up.  It's every six years, and cost is about $1,500-$2,000 as I understand it.  That doesn't include rocket, which is every second 6-year cycle, and rocket about doubles cost."

Just a chute re-pack is around $1050 and when the rocket and chute is due it is around $1950.

Hi Kent,

Unless you have already viewed it, I suggest you do a search on this forum, for "BRS 1350HS Rocket Kit" and read through the thread. That should answer most of your questions on BRS.

i just had my BRS repacked and rocket replaced (thank you Roger Lee), so many of the posts there are accurate and current.

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

"On the parachute, mine is coming up.  It's every six years, and cost is about $1,500-$2,000 as I understand it.  That doesn't include rocket, which is every second 6-year cycle, and rocket about doubles cost."

Just a chute re-pack is around $1050 and when the rocket and chute is due it is around $1950.

In the other thread Rookie posted his cost was $2130 at BRS. That did not include shipping which is about $150. It also didn't include labor to remove and install the chute. the cost of $2130 is directly from BRS. Unless they offer a discount to the maintenance shop doing your work you shouldn't expect your end price to be the same.

I spoke with Roger through PM, and I hope he doesn't mind me posting this. Roger has the customer pay BRS directly for the cost of the chute. He charges only labor for removal and install. If you drop your airplane off at the shop and ask them to have the chute repacked you need to expect them to charge a reasonable price for handling the money. The difference between what BRS charges and what the shop charges is not all profit either. It goes to insurance and other operating expenses needed to keep the shop open.

Thanks to all for the information!  I moved from an SR22 Cirrus to the Saratoga Turbo.  Looking forward to far less in operating/maintenance costs.  I know Cirrus chute costs are around 15K!!!  Staggering...

2k for chute and rocket is right. I'm doing that now for my 2006. Annual is 1k ish depending. 

want to add from a cost perspective that it's not the low (4.5-5 gph) fuel burn alone, it's also that you can use premium pump gas as it's ethanol approved.

Right now 93 premium at my local gas station is $2.91/gallon so my fuel costs are $13 an hour. $100 hamburger my ass, the burger costs more than the fuel. 

Long story short if you can afford the ongoing costs of a Saratoga you can afford the ongoing costs of about 8 CTs.

20 hours ago, CTMI said:

Annual is 1k ish depending. 

I spent $1600 on the first annual for my 2007, which I had done at Lockwood and included installing an Autopilot (labor only, I provided the parts).  After that I never spent more than $400 on an annual by working with my A&P and doing most of the work.  Since I went E-LSA my costs are more like $100 or less.  

My point is you *can* spend $1000+ on an annual if you pay somebody else to do everything, but if you are willing to do some work and find an amenable A&P, you can do it for a LOT less.  Plus you get the benefit of learning a lot about your airplane.  

Archived