Cold start... again

Jnowak

We are experiencing rough winter in Europe right now - temperatures of -10 Celsius (14 F). Rotax manual allows for start at -20 provided that the oil can handle that, yet I recall reading that it can damage the engine if not pre-heated. We have planes in non heated hangar. Any comments/advice appreciated. Thanks!

You will cause an issue with the starter or sprag clutch if you continue long or hard starts. 

It is cheaper in the long run to put an engine pre heater on. The Tanis pre heater is a gold standard. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one of these and use it. It is a night and day difference for starting and protecting your engine.

Thanks Roger - it happens only a couple of times per year that I would start in temperatures like that - do you still recommend it? When do you actually use it? Any time temp drops below freezing? Thanks again. Jack. 

2 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

You will cause an issue with the starter or sprag clutch if you continue long or hard starts. 

It is cheaper in the long run to put an engine pre heater on. The Tanis pre heater is a gold standard. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase one of these and use it. It is a night and day difference for starting and protecting your engine.

Part of a mechanical insurance policy.

I installed a Tanis and it is wonderful, and it is plugged in as soon as the plane is in the hangar, but I am curious what folks use when traveling.  For example, tomorrow I hope to fly north for the day, and will be parked outside in maybe 25F temps for several hours.

Haul a long extension cord?  My limited experience is that most parking spots are pretty far from the actual building.  Tape a bunch of hand warmers to the block...?

I'm a cheapskate when it comes to preheaters. I built my own. Not much use if you are traveling, but okay when flying from my home base. I use a $15 heater, and $25 worth of ducting. I stick one hose in the round air inlet, and the other in the oil door.

Archived