Recycling wheel balance weights?

John Vance

• 1 month later...

Hi John.  Just seeing your post.  I use 3M foam tape. This is about 1/16" thick with a green peel off.  It results in almost the same foam tape that the weights come with.  I scrape off the old foam tape, clean the weights with acetone or carb cleaner, and the apply a new piece of foam tape. I clean the wheel the same say and then apply the weight, pressing in place for a short while. I try to place the weights on an inside surface so they have centrifugal force pressing them into the wheel.  On Matco wheels, there is a nice rim on the outer diameter of the wheel which keeps the weights in place.  This has always securely fastened the old weights to my wheels and hasn't let go. 

1 hour ago, Runtoeat said:

Hi John.  Just seeing your post.  I use 3M foam tape. This is about 1/16" thick with a green peel off.  It results in almost the same foam tape that the weights come with.  I scrape off the old foam tape, clean the weights with acetone or carb cleaner, and the apply a new piece of foam tape. I clean the wheel the same say and then apply the weight, pressing in place for a short while. I try to place the weights on an inside surface so they have centrifugal force pressing them into the wheel.  On Matco wheels, there is a nice rim on the outer diameter of the wheel which keeps the weights in place.  This has always securely fastened the old weights to my wheels and hasn't let go. 

Thanks, Dick. I used all my new weights on the last tire change, but still have all of the old ones. I'll look for the 3M foam tape. I noticed after I'd completed the tire change that the Matco Wheels are supposed to be balanced by lining up a chevron on one half with the valve hole on the other in order when reassembling. That may be part of the reason why I needed so many weights.  

1 hour ago, Runtoeat said:

I use 3M foam tape. This is about 1/16" thick with a green peel off.  It results in almost the same foam tape that the weights come with.  I scrape off the old foam tape, clean the weights with acetone or carb cleaner, and the apply a new piece of foam tape. I clean the wheel the same say and then apply the weight, pressing in place for a short while. I try to place the weights on an inside surface so they have centrifugal force pressing them into the wheel.  On Matco wheels, there is a nice rim on the outer diameter of the wheel which keeps the weights in place.  This has always securely fastened the old weights to my wheels and hasn't let go. 

Thanks, Dick.

I will give that a try next time I do a tire change.

Archived