iFly 740b Install

FlyingMonkey

Hey all...

I'm considering installing an iFly 740b in the center panel of my 2007 CTSW, to replace the 496 I currently have installed.

In the center panel I currently have a GTX327 transponder, SL40 Radio, the 496 in an Airgizmos dock, and the carb/cabin heat controls.  I'm planning to mount the iFly in portrait mode, there's no way it would fit landscape.  The nice thing is the width of the iFly dock in portrait mode is identical to the width of the 496 in landscape, 6.25 inches.  the problem is that the iFly dock will take up 7.9" vertically, which is a ton of space in the stack.  

I did some rough measuring.  I think if I move the radio and transponder down to the VERY bottom of the panel (there is currently 1" left below them) and move the heat controls up another 1/2" to 1" (almost against the lower lip of the glareshield), it should fit.  Barely.  Mostly.

Does anybody have a 7" iFly installed (700/720/740/740b) in their CT?  Pictures, advice, or info would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

Flight Design make a molded piece that glues on to the mushroom for moving the heat controls to make room for a larger GPS.

Awesome. That should solve the problem.

Thanks, Tom.

I just heard back from Arian.  The relocation kit is $56.  Pricey for a plastic cover, but not bad in terms of aviation expenses.  I will do some measuring this weekend to make sure everything will fit, and order the kit Monday if the tape measure agrees to it.  The 696 dock fits and is 8" tall versus 7.9" for the iFly, so it should work.  I might still have to shift the radio and transponder down though.

I like this location but I don’t know how the knobs are supported. It looks like the tab that was part of the original mushroom is moved, but it would need to be supported really well in the new location. I think that this was Scrapman1959’s first CTLS.

35752BFA-F694-4ECE-B6A3-B8B149BF8048.png

Tip, behind the panel the knobs are just in a plastic block with two screws through the mushroom material.  The support block will be moved with the knobs, and the new trim plate will make the material there double thickness, so you could argue it will be better supported than the factory position.  In technical terms it seems it would be "fine".  ?

Edit:. I didn't realize you posted a different picture.  That location should be fine too, it's just through the mushroom material like the factory position.  Personally I like the center brow position better, it keeps the knobs out of the way.

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Tip, behind the panel the knobs are just in a plastic block with two screws through the mushroom material.  The support block will be moved with the knobs, and the new trim plate will make the material there double thickness, so you could argue it will be better supported than the factory position.  In technical terms it seems it would be "fine".  ?

Edit:. I didn't realize you posted a different picture.  That location should be fine too, it's just through the mushroom material like the factory position.  Personally I like the center brow position better, it keeps the knobs out of the way.

Andy, I have not done one , but I don't think you will get double thickness. I think you will have to remove material from the lip of the mushroom to install the new trim plate. 

All you have to do to install the new adapter for the carb and cabin heat is cut out the opening  on the existing panel lip and pop rivet the new part in place then run the knobs through and hook up the cables. Lots of them done here at my field. You will need to paint the new adapter part.

Carb and cabin heat adapter.jpg

If you don't want to go through all these modifications you could opt for a Garmin Aera 66o. The Airgizmo dock for the 660 is the same size as for the 496. I did this installation along with a Garmin 345 transponder to satisfy my ADS-B in/out. Pricey but I like it.

I also have the iFly 740 on a suction cup mount on the right side of the panel. Andy, you and I have the same steam gauge set up on the right side so you also have space for the suction cup mount. With a little bit of silicone adhesive my suction cup stays on .

Just a thought.^_^

1 hour ago, sandpiper said:

If you don't want to go through all these modifications you could opt for a Garmin Aera 66o. The Airgizmo dock for the 660 is the same size as for the 496. I did this installation along with a Garmin 345 transponder to satisfy my ADS-B in/out. Pricey but I like it.

I also have the iFly 740 on a suction cup mount on the right side of the panel. Andy, you and I have the same steam gauge set up on the right side so you also have space for the suction cup mount. With a little bit of silicone adhesive my suction cup stays on .

Just a thought.^_^

did you have to install another gps antenna for the Garmin 345?

7 hours ago, sandpiper said:

Just a thought.^_^

That was my original plan, but the 660 is $300-400 more for the same feature set with a 2" smaller screen.  I have lots of friends with iFly units and they all rave about them, and the feature set is impressive, with synthetic vision coming later this year.  Plus the annual subscription is about $70 for unlimited updates, Garmin charges $150 for a single update of my 496.

I use Garmin Pilot and love it, but the steep "Garmin tax" on their new hardware tends to lead one in different directions.  I'm willing to do a little extra work to get a much bigger screen for much less money.

Maybe I am missing something but I thought that iFly devices were only supporting your basic scanned sectionals which, to me, are pretty much waste of computing capabilities offered by the underlying hardware.

Vector maps are the main reason I stick with Garmin devices ( and I really don’t like Garmin as a company to begin with )

19 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

That was my original plan, but the 660 is $300-400 more for the same feature set with a 2" smaller screen.  I have lots of friends with iFly units and they all rave about them, and the feature set is impressive, with synthetic vision coming later this year.  Plus the annual subscription is about $70 for unlimited updates, Garmin charges $150 for a single update of my 496.

I use Garmin Pilot and love it, but the steep "Garmin tax" on their new hardware tends to lead one in different directions.  I'm willing to do a little extra work to get a much bigger screen for much less money.

I forget what I paid for my Aera 660 updates but it's an annual subscription. 

5 hours ago, sandpiper said:

Beats $150 a pop. I think the reason for the higher cost on 396/496 is that Garmin is phasing out support for them? 

They have always been more expensive.  I think they offered lower pricing on the Aera models to compete with lower priced options like the iFly.  I think they have not lowered update costs on other models because it might be viewed as an admission that “yeah, we’ve been kind of gouging you on these updates”...

Archived