iFly 740b Install

FlyingMonkey

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok so speaking of AHRS...Anybody know of an ADSB in/out device as good as the uAvionix that has AHRS? (And in the same price range)  I found the SkyguardTWX and iLevil 3aw that have AHRS but I can’t tell if they get the job done in the other areas as well as the uAvionix.

It’s kinda hard to evaluate this stuff as a layman...

Pretty much all of AHRS equipped ADSB devices are only ADSB-in... Garmin , iLevil , Stratux ( https://www.amazon.com/Stratux-Receiver-Aviation-Weather-Traffic/dp/B071HMQY19/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_tr_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9N1H3B1YVW1ZWN35GCPK

The only other combo I know that does both In&out and has AHRS is Stratus - http://www.appareo.com/stratus/. but it only works with Foreflight ( the ADSB-in part + AHRS)

55 minutes ago, Warmi said:

Pretty much all of AHRS equipped ADSB devices are only ADSB-in... Garmin , iLevil , Stratux ( https://www.amazon.com/Stratux-Receiver-Aviation-Weather-Traffic/dp/B071HMQY19/ref=pd_lpo_vtph_107_tr_img_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=9N1H3B1YVW1ZWN35GCPK

The only other combo I know that does both In&out and has AHRS is Stratus - http://www.appareo.com/stratus/. but it only works with Foreflight ( the ADSB-in part + AHRS)

That’s not quite right...the 2 products I mentioned are ADSB IN&OUT + AHRS. I just can’t tell if these are companies that will actually be around long or if the products are good quality. For example on the iLevil site when you try to click into a link “for more detailed information” the link is dead. Doesn’t inspire a lot of confidence. 

https://levil-aviation-powered-by-tucan.myshopify.com/products/ilevil-3-aw?variant=22245128513

http://adsb.skyguardtwx.com/uatessquawk-transceiver-model/

Looking for something to work with the iFly740 not just an iPad.

I have the SkyGuard TWX which is AHRS with ADS-B in/out. Believe that others here on the forum have the SkyGuard too.  My SkyGuard is coupled to the iFly 740 GPS.  The SkyGuard works well and the FAA recognizes the internal GPS position source as an accepted device which meets 2020 rules for Experimental and LSA.   The SG is a wireless transceiver - this means it receives the transponder pressure altitude and squawk code wirelessly.  It also receives 980 UAT and 1090 frequencies and transmits on 978 UAT.   Installation is not hard and can be done by any A&P.  It has a GPS antenna which is mounted at the overhead window and two antennas mounted on the belly of the aircraft.  An  MRA is needed from the manufacturer to make the SG a FAA recognized ADS-B device for 2020.  ADS-B in/out $1299 and ADS-B in/out with AHRS $1699.

5ac9fb6f37c53_skkyguardinstallation2_email.thumb.jpg.d212b53e42233b21af6eb29b4740b793.jpg

27 minutes ago, Runtoeat said:

I have the SkyGuard TWX which is AHRS with ADS-B in/out. Believe that others here on the forum have the SkyGuard too.  My SkyGuard is coupled to the iFly 740 GPS.  The SkyGuard works well and the FAA recognizes the internal GPS position source as an accepted device which meets 2020 rules for Experimental and LSA.   The SG is a wireless transceiver - this means it receives the transponder pressure altitude and squawk code wirelessly.  It also receives 980 UAT and 1090 frequencies and transmits on 980 UAT.   Installation is not hard and can be done by any A&P.  It has a GPS antenna which is mounted at the overhead window and two antennas mounted on the belly of the aircraft.  An  MRA is needed from the manufacturer to make the SG a FAA recognized ADS-B device for 2020.  ADS-B in/out $1299 and ADS-B in/out with AHRS $1699.

5ac9fb6f37c53_skkyguardinstallation2_email.thumb.jpg.d212b53e42233b21af6eb29b4740b793.jpg

Thanks for the info.

Just saw some posts on another forum about the Skyguard and it was not getting good reviews. Those that owned it said it was buggy and didn’t work well or didn’t think it would last long. Have you had any issues with yours?  The sample size was admittedly small...just a couple guys. 

The ADS-B situation has been evolving ever since it came out and this last year especially so in regards to Experimental and LSA rules.  Some manufacturers have folded (NavWorks) while others have persisted and have worked with the FAA to keep current on the evolution of ADS-B rules and have been successful.  Don Houtz at SG has been one who has worked with the FAA to help adjust the rules to allow the "non-certified GPS source" ADS-B Experimental and LSA ADS-B devices to be accepted and has successfully been able to bring his TWX to market.  I sent my SG to Don for installation of a new GPS source and for firmware update in order that it was made to "catch up" to the FAA's rules and it now functions properly.  No charges to do this.  Those who purchase a new SG should have the proper function of this unit.  I have successfully passed the FAA's PAPR  ADS-B performance test and I am now recognized by the FAA as having "passed" for 2020.  Like all complicated devices, I don't know how long my unit will continue to work well.  If needed, I believe that I can count on Don to stand behind his product based on my dealings with him.  There are other options too though.  Shane Woodson, who was originally at Adventure Pilot and is now at uAvioncs, is really up to date on all things technical and I believe that uAvionics is another ADS-B device to consider.  The Echo provides ADS-B in and the SkyFyx  must be added to have WAAS GPS for ADS-B out, if one does not have a GPS source.

I was one of the very early adopters of ADS-B Out and purchased a version 1 of the Skyguard transmitter nearly 5 years ago.  The unit has worked flawlessly and it too essentially 'passed' the FAA's PAPR ADS-B performance test except for the SIL value (certified GPS) and pressure altitude field.  The rules evolved, as noted above, and my unit is not within the regs for 2020 operation but I purchased it to 'wake up' the ground stations so I could get traffic and it has done its job.  Don has offered to take my unit has a trade-in against a new purchase.  I'm in no hurry to gain compliance so will hold off another year and see what's available at the time with Skyguard being a definite contender.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Question for iFly users:

I just finished my install, but the iFly-supplied USB-to-DB9 cable for NMEA output to the autopilot does not attach to the iFly unit without interfering with the dock so that you can't actually put the device in the dock *and* have the NMEA cable connected.  BOO!!!

I assume what is needed here is a fairly low-profile 90° USB adapter, but it's hard to know which one to buy that will work.  How did those of you who've done this install solve this issue? 

Andy, you will need a both a 90 usb and a 90 3.5mm adapter to install without cobbling the dock. I'm in Oshkosh, but I'll see if I can find and post a link to what I found that worked.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W9BAAU8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1.  For the usb.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DCBJ51I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1  For the 3.5.

BTW, I installed withthe latch to the left and the usb up. Also if your dock didn't come with a couple small pieces of rubber to keep the iFly tight you need to call Air Gizmo and they will send them to you.

Andy -- I spoke with the iFly folks a couple months ago and one of their 'top' things to do was to be able to talk to a Garmin COM radio and allow the setting of the standby frequency via the iFly device (like the Garmin x95/6 portables). Has this been implemented yet?

Tom, I'm one who has installed the iFly740 but I located this on my left side I/P and not in the center.  I made a new LH I/P and moved some of the steam gages to clear a spot for the 740.  I kept my Garmin 495 in the center panel and continue to use this for redundant navigation and for operating my TruTrak A/P.

Dave, didn't mean to step on your post.  I was typing and then entered about the same time as you.  I'll stand by to see what is going on with communication radio freq between iFly and Garmin.  Didn't know this might be in the works.

• 1 month later...
4 minutes ago, iaw4 said:

I just discovered the 740b.  looks nice and better than the garmin aera, and possibly an iPad.  is it?  is there a comparative review somewhere?

I’m happy with mine. Works well, and they are actively adding in updated features. iPads are fine, but you can’t slave the autopilot to an iPad. 

I sure love mine. iFly is an innovative small company with very responsive customer service. The people who answer the phone are light aircraft pilots who use the product every day. A couple times I've called with questions the owner answered the phone.

Also, though I still have a bunch of Garmin products, and they're obviously innovative too, I'm mad about what I consider their unfounded attack on Uavionix. We'll all be poorer as a result of the stifled competition.

Mike Koerner

On 9/6/2018 at 10:57 AM, iaw4 said:

I just discovered the 740b.  looks nice and better than the garmin aera, and possibly an iPad.  is it?  is there a comparative review somewhere?

"Better" is subjective...

It's WAY better than the 496 I had in my airplane.  touch screen vs. rocker switch interface, 7" screen vs 4.3" screen (about 2.5x the screen area), screen just as bright and readable or more so.  Where the 496 is better is in the boot time (5 sec vs 30 or so) and screen updates (5Hz for 496, I'm guessing 2Hz for iFly), but these are small issues.

I would say the iPad is still the best GPS option out there, in my opinion.  Mine (iPad Air 2) has a huge screen, is very fast, and easy to use.  If I could drive the autopilot from the iPad wirelessly, I probably would have left the 496 in the panel and just never used it.  But if you want a VFR-only GPS in the panel to drive an autopilot that can receive ADS-B traffic and weather, the iFly 740/740b is really, really tough to beat. 

• 2 months later...

I am now (about to be) the proud owner of N378CT.  It is at Roger's airport in TUS.  My plan is to replace the existing 496 with a bigger and better and brighter GPS before I go out.  (there is a Garmin radio and xponder in it.)

I need a "bill of materials" list to order for Juan (from Sonoran Avionics) to install.  I have picked up knowledge of bits and pieces here and there---a Tom Baker panel cutout, a FD relocation kit, perhaps an AirGizmos Dock?!.  does someone have a complete list, please?

and perhaps some advice, too:  I am also not 100% sure how to compare the 696 to the 740B.  when I look at photographs posted above, the 740b seems a little too tall, while the 696 seems a better fit.  It is also a bit more pleasing, because it is a little wider.  alas, when I look at the dimensions, it does not bear this out, at all.  the mypilotstore site says that the 740b is 7.25" high, while the 696 is 7.75" high (and the 796 is 8" high).  all seem to have 480x800 screens in a 7" diagonal.  (and are they equally bright?)  [I know about subscription pricing differences and 5Hz.  from what I can tell, the devices are roughly comparable, even though the iFly is much cheaper.  not sure about the install cost differences, though.]

Why 696 ? Their 796 model has pretty decent touch interface that is certainly better than the old style buttons/rockers.

I fly with both  the 796 and my mini IPad running Garmin Pilot and while I prefer my IPad in terms of screen resolution and general utility , the dedicated units like 796 do offer some significant advantages - like for instance being able to drive an autopilot and ( this is huge for me ) much brighter screens - my iPad is about half as bright as the 796 and sometimes barely readable on a bright sunny day.

• 2 months later...
On 3/22/2018 at 10:21 AM, FlyingMonkey said:

I received the heater controls relocation part from FDUSA, and I have to admit I was a little disappointed.  The part is basically just a raw fiberglass blank, no paint and no holes in it for the controls or mounting screws.  Painting is easy, just a shot of primer and then some flat black.  But it seems like since the screw and control holes are at set distances in the plastic block with no variance between airplanes, they could have pre-drilled those holes.  Now I have to disassemble the entire heater control block and make a template to match up on the fiberglass and run it through the drill press.  And that will still probably have more error in it than if they'd done it at the factory.

For $56 ($70 with shipping...don't get me started on $14 shipping for a 0.5oz part...) it seems like they could have marked and drilled four holes.  I e-mailed Arian to ask if it was supposed to be painted and drilled, we'll see what he says.    

I have the raw heat control relocation part. What brand and color paint did you guys use to get it anywhere close to the mushroom color?

Archived