iFly 740b Install

FlyingMonkey

Andy, welcome to the iFly users group!  You'll really like the 740 the more you use it.  As you're aware, the sectionals are not scanned.  Typical with Adventure Pilot's attention to details, they took the time and effort to have all of the joining areas of the various sectionals show complete information at the joining charts. No overlapping scanned charts that leave out important info.  If extreme detail is needed I use the VFR charts but mainly just use the Vector screen.  I just talked to Shane Woodson, who was at Adventure Pilot and is now at  uAvionics.  He said he thinks the iFly now has Beta synthetic vision for iOS and will soon have this for Android.  Believe that Shane said the syn vision will require AHARS input?  Not sure which equipment provides this?  I get this input from my SkyGuard ADS-B transceiver.  Amazing that Adventure Pilot offers anytime updates to charts, obsticles and airports for $70+ or add another $20 or so and you can install the iFly program on 3 devices that can all be synced.  I make it a point to update everything every month or so.  Just get the 740 in range of a WiFi and click on "update" or take the SD card home and update on the computer. 

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

Andy, welcome to the iFly users group!  You'll really like the 740 the more you use it.  As you're aware, the sectionals are not scanned.  Typical with Adventure Pilot's attention to details, they took the time and effort to have all of the joining areas of the various sectionals show complete information at the joining charts. No overlapping scanned charts that leave out important info.  If extreme detail is needed I use the VFR charts but mainly just use the Vector screen.  I just talked to Shane Woodson, who was at Adventure Pilot and is now at  uAvionics.  He said he thinks the iFly now has Beta synthetic vision for iOS and will soon have this for Android.  Believe that Shane said the syn vision will require AHARS input?  Not sure which equipment provides this?  I get this input from my SkyGuard ADS-B transceiver.  Amazing that Adventure Pilot offers anytime updates to charts, obsticles and airports for $70+ or add another $20 or so and you can install the iFly program on 3 devices that can all be synced.  I make it a point to update everything every month or so.  Just get the 740 in range of a WiFi and click on "update" or take the SD card home and update on the computer. 

Thanks Dick...I mainly use vector charts in Garmin Pilot right now.  The main reason I'm not planning to go to iFly on my iPad is that the flight logging function of Garmin Pilot is phenomenal.  I have not logged a flight on paper in two years, and the logging include a place for endorsements so even my flight reviews go in there.

GP's synthetic vision works fine without AHARS, but you don't get any pitch or bank info, it's basically a virtual view of whats ahead in the direction you are flying.  Still useful if you have terrain around and visibility is a factor, or if there are are lots of high obstacles lurking about.  iFly may be similar, or the programmers might have made the design decision to lock out the SynVis functionality unless an AHARS is present.

9 hours ago, JohnnyBlackCT said:

Andy, you will love iFly GPS.  For $70 you get VFR and for $20 you get multi-platform which now allows 4 devices, not 3.  I also pay an additional $40 for IFR, just in case I would need to make an emergency approach.  I have been a beta tester for iFly for a long time and have also used most of the other apps.  IMHO, iFly is the best.  AHRS is working well and will be released for all platforms very soon.  You would probably want to put it on your iPad also instead of Garmin.  The Windows version works very well on my Surface Pro 4 and is great for armchair flying and flight planning etc.  I use a Stratux with mine since I am just renting the SkyCatcher and Remos GX.  Go for it, you won't be disappointed.  Also, Brian at AP is the best developer I have ever encountered.  You will probably want to quickly become a beta tester so you have access and input on all the new features.

Yeah, I have played with my friends' iFly units and have used the app.  I'm pretty impressed.  If iFly has or gets the level of flight logging GP has, I probably would drop GP.  

There is some value in using different GPS apps though, you can use them to cross check each other and any bug that affects one will leave the other still working.

4 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

@FlyingMonkey I have a panel roughly like yours and my 496 in the center isn't the 'center piece' it once was.  It would be nice to have what you are installing but so similar to what is on my tablet already that I'm not sure it makes sense to me.  Am I missing something?

Nah, you are not missing much...this is primarily a convenience thing.  My 496 works for me as backup, and to drive my TruTrak autopilot through an NMEA interface.  My main problem is that if I want to make a complicated flight plan for the AP to follow, it gets tedious with the rocker switch and buttons on the 496.  It's not awful if all your waypoints are airports or nav fixes, but if you want to make a turn at an arbitrary location you need to make a personal waypoint typing in LAT/LONG info (real PITA with the rocker...).  It's easier to just pull the damn thing out and take it home the night before to program it.  Then if something changes and you need to change the plan in flight, it's again a PITA.

The iFly will let me just grab my course line and rubber band drag it to where I want it, no fuss.  And the iFly will talk directly to the uAvionix ADS-B gear I'm planning to install, so I can use the iFly as a dedicated traffic/weather display and to drive the AP and use my iPad for airspace and situational awareness.  Or who knows, if the iFly works well enough I might take the iPad mount out of the airplane and just stow the iPad under the seat as a backup.

My avionics fit is over a decade old (but works great BTW), so I figure it's time for at least a minor upgrade to it.  I'd change to a Skyview display too if I could justify the expense. 

Yeah, need to drop the radio and xponder down, you'll need all of the space you can get.  It will be neat when you're done though.  Worth the effort.  Went a different route and kept my 495 in center.  Run TruTrak with 495 and use for redundant nav with iFly.  Nice to have touch screen in iFly after cursoring and pushing buttons on my 495 but it is still rock solid after all these years.  Garmin is good stuff and GP is really good but time to update was here and I'm happy with 740 GPS and software and with factory support for this.  Thanks for the info on synVis.  Not sure if I'll get this fancy but the capability is there is I want to.  Need to keep my head up and looking out instead of watching the screen!

• 2 weeks later...

I received the heater controls relocation part from FDUSA, and I have to admit I was a little disappointed.  The part is basically just a raw fiberglass blank, no paint and no holes in it for the controls or mounting screws.  Painting is easy, just a shot of primer and then some flat black.  But it seems like since the screw and control holes are at set distances in the plastic block with no variance between airplanes, they could have pre-drilled those holes.  Now I have to disassemble the entire heater control block and make a template to match up on the fiberglass and run it through the drill press.  And that will still probably have more error in it than if they'd done it at the factory.

For $56 ($70 with shipping...don't get me started on $14 shipping for a 0.5oz part...) it seems like they could have marked and drilled four holes.  I e-mailed Arian to ask if it was supposed to be painted and drilled, we'll see what he says.    

Andy, I have never looked at the block but would it help if you were given the hole locations and distance between the holes?  Maybe FD has a drawing which would provide you with with this so removal of the block to try and do this isn't required?  I won't make things worse by commenting the the charges.  I feel your pain.

On 3/22/2018 at 9:21 AM, FlyingMonkey said:

I received the heater controls relocation part from FDUSA, and I have to admit I was a little disappointed.  The part is basically just a raw fiberglass blank, no paint and no holes in it for the controls or mounting screws.  Painting is easy, just a shot of primer and then some flat black.  But it seems like since the screw and control holes are at set distances in the plastic block with no variance between airplanes, they could have pre-drilled those holes.  Now I have to disassemble the entire heater control block and make a template to match up on the fiberglass and run it through the drill press.  And that will still probably have more error in it than if they'd done it at the factory.

For $56 ($70 with shipping...don't get me started on $14 shipping for a 0.5oz part...) it seems like they could have marked and drilled four holes.  I e-mailed Arian to ask if it was supposed to be painted and drilled, we'll see what he says.    

How’s this going?  Please keep us up to date - interested in this setup too once I acquire the CTLS

On 3/22/2018 at 4:00 PM, WmInce said:

I'd be willing to bet, the FlyingMonkey could have fabricated a better part himself.

After all . . . he is E-LSA. . . :)

I probably could have made one "almost as nice", but for a lot less than $56.  But this piece is quite nice and there is something to be said for using factory parts that are known to fit.  I just wish they'd done a little more of the finishing work to it.  

On 3/22/2018 at 4:10 PM, Tip said:

Andy, could you post a picture of the bare block? How does the original block keep tension on the rods so that they don’t retract?

Good question, I have not looked at it in detail yet.  Once I get around to fiddling with it I'll take some pics and let you know.

On 3/24/2018 at 9:47 PM, Ben2k9 said:

How’s this going?  Please keep us up to date - interested in this setup too once I acquire the CTLS

I have not had a chance yet to work on this.  I will probably do it in stages:

1) Relocate the heater controls.

2) Buy the iFly unit and do some comprehensive measurements to find out *exactly* where everything needs to go.

3) Hack up the panel to get the iFly in and make the wiring work.

I'm waiting on a friend who is doing a new radio install in his CTSW.  There is a possibility he'll need a new center panel, and he might give me his old one; if that happens I can cut up his old panel and then I'd have a back out plan if something didn't fit or work as intended.  I'd be able to slap the old panel and 496 back in place and go on my merry way.

On 3/26/2018 at 1:58 PM, FlyingMonkey said:

I have not had a chance yet to work on this.  I will probably do it in stages:

1) Relocate the heater controls.

2) Buy the iFly unit and do some comprehensive measurements to find out *exactly* where everything needs to go.

3) Hack up the panel to get the iFly in and make the wiring work.

I'm waiting on a friend who is doing a new radio install in his CTSW.  There is a possibility he'll need a new center panel, and he might give me his old one; if that happens I can cut up his old panel and then I'd have a back out plan if something didn't fit or work as intended.  I'd be able to slap the old panel and 496 back in place and go on my merry way.

Planning to integrate with an ADSB in/out?

1 hour ago, Runtoeat said:

The iFly 740 is versatile in regards to what ADS-B devices it can be hooked up to.  It also has Android and iPad programs.  I just downloaded SynVis.  Free Beta. 

I'd love you hear your thoughts on the new SynVis, after you've had a chance to use it a bit.  Do you have an AHARS talking to it?

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I'd love you hear your thoughts on the new SynVis, after you've had a chance to use it a bit.  Do you have an AHARS talking to it?

I spent 2 hours in high Sierra canyons yesterday, most of the time in an extended turn that leaves me envisioning the space that I am flying into in my head.  See below, I now do 'stitched panoramas' which means I have to be in a turn for each shot as I capture it up to a dozen times in a turn.

I have syn vis that works well and is big and primary.  I never look at it I only look out the windows.  It can and will save my bacon if I get enveloped in smoke or go IMC but otherwise I prefer to watch all the visual clues out the skly light and various points and watching it on the syn vis is just one more complication that I choose not to add.

Sunrise in the Russell Whitney Col.

russell rise.jpg

Sunrise at 13,000' Lake Tulainyo

Tulanyo Sunrise.jpg

Mt Whitney and friends

Whitney.jpg

31 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

That's exactly what I'd want it for Ed...inadvertent IMC in proximity to terrain.

For that I 'go 100%' and it works easily.  I have a box out 3 minutes in front of me so I can line up and put the box on the runway and fly an approach into anywhere.

I downloaded the program with reservations just for the reasons Ed and Andy state.  I don't want to to have my head down and want to be able to use my natural abilities to navigate.  I have basically a steam gage cockpit with Garmin 495, iFly 740 and TriTrak  A/P and this suits me well.  I do have AHRS with the SkyGuard being coupled to the iFly 740 and this provides amazing attitude capability but the types of flights I typically make don't require me to use this.  My relatively simple setup is easy and safe to use and helps me go where I need to go.  I'm a flat land fair weather flyer.  The SynVis will not be used much, maybe not at all, but I am curious to see how it functions.

On 3/29/2018 at 7:34 PM, FlyingMonkey said:

Yes, uAvionix EchoUAT.

That looks like the best bang for the buck, after reviewing several of the available options. Did you get the package with th EchoUAT and the SkyFYX WAAS GPS?

10 hours ago, Ben2k9 said:

That looks like the best bang for the buck, after reviewing several of the available options. Did you get the package with th EchoUAT and the SkyFYX WAAS GPS?

I have not purchased anything yet, but that is my plan, the EchoUAT+SkyFYX-EXT.

Archived