Cabin size CTLS vs CTSW

Ben2k9

Without the rear bulkhead that goes all the way to the ceiling it allows the seat to be moved back in a more reclined position. with the CTSW and high back seats the top of the seat hits the bulkhead when you bring the bottom rearward. There was also a seat design change either in 2009 or 2010 that allowed the seat to move further back in the track. One thing I always found odd was all the holes in the seat track that you can't use because the seat can't physical fit ant further back.

1 hour ago, Roger Lee said:

I think this is one of those Chevy vs Ford discussions.

I don't liked the reclined position in the LS because it makes me have to reach for the stick. With back problems I also prefer to sit up straight.

Roger, your desire to sit vertical is a personal choice, and has nothing to do with one having more room than the other. Where you have an issue reaching the stick the OP may not. He did state that he was a tall guy. I have seen people up to 6' 5" in a CTSW, but I have seen someone 7' 2" in a CTLS. I don't think he would have fit in a CTSW, but the ability to move the seat further back and be reclined in the CTLS did allow him to fit. That is not a Ford vs Chevy thing.

How much do you weigh?  The CTLS will be 50-100lb heavier, and that directly translates to less weight you can carry.  Most guys your height are well over 200lb, so that could be a consideration too.

Honestly, your height pushes what most LSA can handle.  A lot will depend on how long your torso is versus your legs, etc.

I'd sit in both and see what you can live with.  Depending where you live you can probably find somebody on this forum who will let you sit in their airplane.

Your are going to fit but you need a ride for the purpose of wearing that fit for a little while and seeing if you are okay fitting like that all the time.  With your head up behind the spar box it can feel like you are in the plane but not fitting very well.

11 hours ago, Roger Lee said:

Like I said,,,Chevy's vs Ford's.

personal preference.

Roger, There are lots of things we discuss that are Ford vs Chevy, but this is not one of them. The bottom of the seat back can be moved further from the ruder pedals in a CTLS. The distance from the seat bottom to the roof is greater in the CTLS. These are physical measurements, not personal preference.

You could always look at a FD MT (metal technology, I think) which has a wider cockpit than the CT's and more headroom since it has struts therefore no carry through spar. It is slower than the CT's but I'd rather have a plane I can fit in as opposed to being uncomfortable all the time.

Eric (Copper City) had one for sale for awhile. Don't know if he still does.

8 hours ago, oberdav said:

As a point of reference, I'm 6'2", 200 lbs and this is what I look like in my CTLS.  I also have the seat on the 2nd notch..it can go back/down a few more I believe.

Hope this kinda helps as a visual.

24900125_192647961290841_2192212010430994070_n.thumb.jpg.0ec14dce739798ddec3580fca23a9022.jpg

Thanks!  Looks like you have several inches clearance above your head, right?  

In response to other question I weigh 225. I’m currently training in a C172 and fit fine in that. Would prefer a Diamond DA40 but cockpit is too tight under normal configurations.  For my purposes, this is about as slow as plane as I would be interested in. 

Archived