-12 Degree Flap Microswitch

Andy A

11 hours ago, WmInce said:

I'll bite and take a guess.

A prop pitch setting, which results in a wide open throttle engine RPM of 5600-5650, at your routine cruise altitude.

I think 5600-5750 is an okay range.  I used to have mine set to get 5700rpm or even a hair more WOT at my cruise altitude, and I loved it.  I tried to get clever and get a knot or two of speed back and coarsened it up a smidge, to WOT of 5600-5625.  It did gain a little cruise speed, but it lost some climb; I probably should have left it alone.  I have it at ~5650rpm now and it's a good setting, but 5700+ is great too and give a little better climb.  Nobody ever got killed in an airplane because of having too much climb performance...  

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I think 5600-5750 is an okay range.  I used to have mine set to get 5700rpm or even a hair more WOT at my cruise altitude, and I loved it.  I tried to get clever and get a knot or two of speed back and coarsened it up a smidge, to WOT of 5600-5625.  It did gain a little cruise speed, but it lost some climb; I probably should have left it alone.  I have it at ~5650rpm now and it's a good setting, but 5700+ is great too and give a little better climb.  Nobody ever got killed in an airplane because of having too much climb performance...  

Last time I checked, my WOT rpm was at 5700 (3000'msl).

I'm okay with that.

37 minutes ago, WmInce said:

Last time I checked, my WOT rpm was at 5700 (3000'msl).

I'm okay with that.

You have the same pitch as me, just a different mentality or way of saying it.  For me its 5,500RPM @WOT (10,500'msl)

You have my speeds available to you but they are above 7,500'  I don't want them at 3,000' or below because best speed is too noisy and not comfortable for me down there.  Near sea level I cruise at 5,200RPM where above 7,500 I cruise at WOT.

30 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I do spend most of my time 3000ft MSL or below, but if I'm traveling and trying to get someplace I like 6500-8500ft.

take it from a pilot that has always lived at 8,000'  Once you get to the altitude in your quote there is no longer any advantage in flying with a partial throttle. (unless your trying to save gas but you are already leaned out up there) (of if your pitch is too fine to maintain 5,500)

Archived