Fuel caps

Al Downs

Are they leaking through the epoxy seals *around* the filler neck?  If so, you'll need to Dremel out the top layer of epoxy and fill in with fresh stuff.  If it were just the cap itself, a new O-ring should fix it unless it's damaged somehow.  You can try a little lithium grease on the O-ring to make a better seal, but I'm guessing a Dremel job is in your future.

My CTLS was staining like that, and I replaced the cap, and it still streaked. I just completed my condition inspection. I pulled the wings for the inspection, and to replace the sight tubes. While I had the wings off I cleaned off the old epoxy, and resealed around the filler necks. I'll report back in a couple weeks if it fixed it or not.

I called FDUSA some time ago to try and get some, and they didn't have any. Arian suggested some marine epoxy putty. the stuff I used didn't hold up. This time I used some slow cure JB Weld. I taped around and inside of where I wanted my bead, and removed the tape shortly after applying the JB Weld. The finished job looks really nice. I also tried to scuff the surface of the filler neck ring to get a better bond.

12 hours ago, Madhatter said:

Try PRC, which is integral fuel tank sealant for jets. Get the small size, once mixed that is it, or try to mix outside the container and then refrig. 

I'll consider that if what I did this time doesn't work. It only took about an inch long bead of both parts to mix and do what I needed. I hate having to waste a whole tube for such a small amount.

Archived