Cold pictures

Roger Lee

If I'm not mistaken, the frozen lake has a beautiful old steam powered boat sailing on it in the summer - many years ago I had a fabulous holiday in that area - Norway is a terrific country - just watch out for the many varieties of Rommergrot - all equally unpalatable - LOL - (Richard have I spelled that correctly?)

Cheers

Ian

The above picture is of yours truly , Dec. 1967, taken in Fairbanks, AK at minus 55F as we prepared this Navion and a T-34 (not shown) for a Civil Air Patrol search at Northway, AK. I was dispatched in the T-34. For the duration of the search I don't remember the temperature getting any warmer than -50F. Notice that the prop will not turn with me hanging on it.

We managed about 3.5 hours of search per day. But, then, we only had about that much daylight each day. Some night searching was done looking for campfires, etc. It took about 2.5 hours to get the aircraft ready each day - no hangars. We preheated with military surplus Herman-Nelson gas heaters. They were wonderful and very hot. About 2 hours into each days flight my lunch, next to me in the cockpit, was frozen.

We were looking for a C-170 with 2 SOB. To my knowlege, they have not been found to this day. Some questioned our sanity in searching at these temperatures since the logisticcs get complicated and things break easily at these temperatures. Should we have gone down our survival would have been in question. Rescue would not have been until the next day. But, we were young, invincible, tough and maybe a little bit stupid. The Navion with its hydraulic gear and, I think, flaps, was a real PITA. The gear didn't really want to go up or down.

Archived