Garmin 496 to 696

Al Downs

I am removing a 496 and replacing with a 696. Does anyone know if that is a direct swap? I will change the mounting panel and move the carb heat and cabin heat controls but what about the GPS wiring? Is it identical or will it require some changes. And what about the the Dynon set up and auto pilot.

Trying to get any needed parts and information so it is easily done at one time and I don't need to wait for parts or information to complete the job.

Talked to Garmin this morning.To wire it up you will need a Bare Wire Kit part # 010-11206-15. Available at Aircraft Spruce or Sportys. $27.00. You may have one that came with  the unit. You will also need the MRA from Flight Design and factory relocation  bezel for the Carb and Cabin heat controls. Also from Flight Design. A replacement panel mount and the bracket for mounting the 696. Scan of MRA attached.

mra.pdf

I am looking to wire a new 796 and GDL 39 utilizing the harness below makes this a fairly plug and play setup however, I need to find the GPS out signal in this harness.  I believe it is in the leg to the GDL39 but I don’t want to assume.  Short of calling garmin I haven’t been able to find a clear answer. Anyone know?

9BB4545E-6401-490F-8F2D-4C301CF5FFD0.png

Archived