What is that gunk in my carburetor bowl?

John Vance

in your earlier thread i asked when the last time your gaskets were swapped out. I asked because its very possible that was a little piece of gasket in there. thats what happened to me. it was tan too. 

granted, im no scientist but aluminum hyroxination  occurring randomly in a carb bowl to the point of spawning some large piece of antimatter all while flying at X000 feet, which migrates finally to clog the jet.............. well. it just seems...... elaborate. 

sure it wasnt just a piece of gasket? the cork ones are tan........

if so, get the green ones.

Please nobody imron their carbs. 

7 minutes ago, CTMI said:

in your earlier thread i asked when the last time your gaskets were swapped out. I asked because its very possible that was a little piece of gasket in there. thats what happened to me. it was tan too. 

granted, im no scientist but aluminum hyroxination  occurring randomly in a carb bowl to the point of spawning some large piece of antimatter all while flying at X000 feet, which migrates finally to clog the jet.............. well. it just seems...... elaborate. 

sure it wasnt just a piece of gasket? the cork ones are tan........

if so, get the green ones.

Please nobody imron their carbs. 

Definitely not gasket material. Mine are green.  

Tom, you and Roger are experienced with the Rotax engines.  Please keep us informed of your experience with the newer soft polymer gasket compared to the green ones.  If any others have used the polymer, I would be interested in comments.  These softer gaskets seem like they would seal better, not that the green ones didn't seal well.  Wondering if there is more "squish" and this changes the float needle setting?  Also wondering how well the black polymer holds up to  fuels with ethanol.

3 hours ago, Runtoeat said:

Tom, you and Roger are experienced with the Rotax engines.  Please keep us informed of your experience with the newer soft polymer gasket compared to the green ones.  If any others have used the polymer, I would be interested in comments.  These softer gaskets seem like they would seal better, not that the green ones didn't seal well.  Wondering if there is more "squish" and this changes the float needle setting?  Also wondering how well the black polymer holds up to  fuels with ethanol.

x2

Archived