The 5th Annual 2011 Page, AZ Fly-In

Roger Lee

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Roger,

OK on more information. I am planning on being there for the Page event.

Larry Minch N255CT

2085 W. Desert Willow Dr.

Cottonwood, AZ 86326

Cell 408-821-6902

My Passenger will be Mark Boarman a fellow flyer and RV-4 builder.

I already made reservations for the room for the three nights.

I have another question regarding maintenance and don't know where to put it so I will put it here.

My friend is building an RV-12 (Rotax engine same as ours in CTs) and introduced me to the problem that the RV-12 owners are having with the engine mounting bolts loosening up. There have been several incidents of the mounting bolts being loose all the way from slightly to several turns. I looked at his drawing and there is not any requirement to use lock tight on them and as you already know there is no provision for safety wiring them. So I immediately took the cowl off my SW and checked to find all of mine tight. So what does Flight Design do that the RV-12 people are not doing? Is FD using lock tight? Do I have to be concerned about the bolts on my Rotax coming loose.

Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated by me and my friend putting together the RV-12.

On a side note, he has looked extensively for any specs on lock tight being exposed to the crankcase temperatures and can't find anything that might call out the ability for it to retain it's holding power under those conditions.

Thanks,

Larry Minch N255CT

Flying Bozo

Hi Larry,

FD had a problem at first with these becoming loose too. FD only torqued them to 22.5 FT/lbs and they are became loose. Then they published SB #8 which wants them torqued to the Rotax torque of 30 Ft/lbs. They do not seem to loosen at this torque. Rotax does not have Loctite on these bolts. The temp would not be a problem. You could use Loctite 243 medium strength, but a better way is to drill the head and safety wire as FD does now. I have not seen any loosen when torqued correctly..

p.s.

Thanks for the additional info for Page.

Hi Larry,

They should be checked every annual. It was issued Jan. 2006, but few ever checked. Way too many mechanics that do maint on the SLSA group do not have the proper manuals and or the SB's from that company. I find this is a more serious problem with A&P's verses

LSRM-A's, the LSRM-A's are guilty many times too. I have questioned some A&P's and either they don't know that the FD website exits (poor excuse) or they say they don't have time. Everyone that goes to any mechanic should ask if they have a book with the SB's and the appropriate manuals. Actually each owner should have them, too. The top left Allen bolt will need a 6" Allen ball end to reach back under the left carb. A straight cut end won't fit the Allen well and will strip the Allen head out. Like I said I haven't seen a loose one once it is torqued to the Rotax spec of 30 ft/lbs.

Engine Ring mount bolt SB.pdf

Thanks Roger. I had immediately checked mine after hearing about the RV-12 guys having problems and as I suspected mine were tight. You had done the annual 6 months ago and would have put the allen wrench on them then.

Larry,,, Flying Bozo

PS another friend and his wife registered for the Page Flyin also and will be flying an RV-7 that he and she built.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I just updated my attendees list for Page Fly-In in conjunction with the Arizona Best Western Inn.

I see a few issues. Here is a list of people that sent me emails saying they are coming, but the hotel has no reservations for:.....(p.s. I have notified these 6 pilots)

Bill Bertram

Joe Brozo

Don England

Jim Hamilton

Ken Knolde

Bruce Sherman

Here are 6 possible people with no rooms. I have heard we may only have 4 rooms left. Get it done quickly.

Now here are a couple of names have have no info for so please send me an email so we can get you on the attendees list, make name tags, ect....

Robert Lindsay........N#, passenger, city & State and cell phone #

Bob Corey......N#, passenger, city & State and cell phone #

Mitch Stone.......N#, passenger, city & State and cell phone #

N409W

Pilot: Mitch Stone

Right seat driver: Judy Triem

Reservations made

Mobile: I'd rather not post this to a public message board. How do I reach you by e-mail?

I am a co-owner of this airplane, purchased in June by myself Roger Kuhn. I am working on my transition and currency right now and hope to make it to Page, if hell doesn't freeze over and the creeks don't rise!

Hi All,

I think we are pretty full on hotel reservations. We may have just 1-2 rooms left. If you are going you better make your reservations now before we run out. There is a list of attendees on the first page of the Page, AZ Fly-In post.

Don't wait get it done.

And don't forget to send me your info.

• 3 weeks later...

5th Annual Page, AZFly-In

Oct. 13-16 2011

Howdy All It’s Time Again!!!!

Bring your cameras!!

Here are the GPS coordinates for our different area flights. These aren'tetched in stone and you don't have to fly these if you don't want to, but theywill keep you from getting lost and take you right over the major flight pathswe will more or less follow. This year we will break up in groups and then eachgroup will take a different flight each morning. This will keep us from having40+ aircraft going into the same areas each flight. We will discuss thisfurther at the Thursday evening meal. We have the restaurant all to ourselvesagain (The Ranch House Grill) and dinners are catered. Breakfast is either thefree one at the hotel, out at the local restaurants or during one of yourflights at the local airport restaurant (best) as will lunch.

The flights below are round trip in a large circle andthey can be shortened by quite a bit if you want to shorten the distance.Just in case bring three tie down ropes for when we are away from Page atother airports. Most have tie downs, but I know Monument Valley has a cable,but you will need your own rope.

General info:

Page, AZ Airport (KPGA) Runway 15-33 Freq.122.8

FBO: Classic @ 122.85 Kris 928-645-5356

Chat Freq. we can use for our own group and for separation of each flight groupwhile in different areas. These will be assigned each night at dinner for thefollowing day’s group flights.

123.45, 127.47, 127.45, 127.5, ect…

Grand Canyon Flight

Grand Canyon (see Grand Canyon VFR map) KPGA round trip is 193 miles 1.7 hrs.

Route: KPGA south through Marble Canyon (monitor 120.05) climbing to 10.5K toenter Zuni Corridor @ N36 17.38 / W111 51.04 to exit @ N35 58.33 / W111 53.39.Turn west along south canyon rim climbing to 11.5K to Fossil Corridor. Switchand monitor 127.05. Turn north and enter Fossil Corridor at 11.5K @ N36 16.43 /W112 34.97. Exit Fossil Corridor @ N36 22.87 / W112.18.70 switch back to120.05. Proceed back to KPGA or tour along the Vermillion Cliff area then backto Page.

Note* You aren’t really that high off the rim as it is approximately 7500’elevation.

Monument Valley Flight

Monument Valley Airport (UT25) Runway 16-34 You only land on 16 and take off on34 Freq. 122.9 Round trip approx. 185 miles 2 hrs. There is a restaurant and we will havebreakfast there on Friday and Saturday flights. A van will beavailable to take us up the hill or if you prefer a nice morning walk have atit.

KPGA to approx. N37 01.003 / W110 12.020 to Mexican Hat @ N37 09.016 / W10951.541, then west to Lake Powell @ N37 17.535 / W 110 23.171 then south to KPGA

This will give you only a general route and/or you can and probably will zigzag around Monument Valley to take in all the sites. Flight altitude is up to youso long as you don’t run into a rock wall. (Only once J)

Bryce & Zion National Park Flight

Bryce Airport (BCE) Freq. 122.8 Runway 03-21 272 miles 2.5 hrs.

KPGA to BCE general area around the canyon sites then southwest to Zion Parkgeneral area @ N37 14.847 / W113 05.115. You can head back to KPGA at thispoint or head into St. George Airport (SGU) Runway 16-34 Freq. 122.8 forbreakfast then back to KPGA. We are going to havebreakfast at Bryce Canyon Ruby’s Inn on Friday and Saturday.

Lake Powell to Bullfrog Basin Resort RestaurantFlight

Bullfrog is U07,N37.32.44.96 and W110.42.47.51, the elevation is 4167’, Unicom is 122.80.

The runway is 3500’ x40’ and runways 1 - 19. AWOS at U96 (9nm se) 134.37

Follow Lake Powell up the channel northeast bound and head into the BullfrogBasin Resort restaurant for breakfast or lunch. The resort will come out the very short distance to pick you up. You can fly very low or high and it’s up toyou. I like low through the channel. There are some altitude, i.e. even andodds, they suggest you fly to stay with the flow with possible other traffic. Iwill have that info before we get to the Fly-In and have our pilot briefings.

“Rainbow Bridge” scenic sight GPS coordinatesN37 04.37.39 / W110 57.53.06

Optional St. George breakfast flight

ID is KDXZ, elevation2884’ Unicom 122.80, AWOS 135.07, Runways 1 – 19. Courtesy car available totown.

The Antelope Canyon ground jeep tour will be available again and the tour ofthe dam. If you haven’t been then you should go.

Dinner Thursday night at the Ranch House grillat 1700 hrs. We will have a little socialhour before the meal (eat at 1800 hrs). This is only 2 blocks away up thestreet from the hotel. Dinner is there all three nights as it is a littlehard to find a table for 80 at most restaurants. The restaurant is closed andonly open to us. It is all inclusive, drinks, salad, two entree meal plus sidesand desert. Seconds are good, too. Bring your own alcohol if you want wine orbeer. All other drinks they supply. This is when we will decide on our dailyflights and times out.

Roger,

Just a note to mention that there is a restaurant at Marble Canyon that has been pretty good if anyone is passing and happens to get hungry. The runway is long but a little bumpy at the seams in the pavement, (as of a year ago). It is an interesting place to land and see things from ground level.

Larry

Flying Bozo

• 2 weeks later...

Despite blocking my calendar off months in advance, work is going to get in the way of my attendance to the fly in this year. I've reserved a hotel room and can coordinate canceling with someone who needs a room. Let me know in the next few days Consolation prize for me is that I'll go to one of the LSA Show locations in the Dallas area that weekend.

*** News Flash ****

We've received word that Flight Design Germany will be at the Fly-in, along with a crew from LOOP magazine, the UK's leading aviation magazine. The crew will be filming and taking pics for a feature article. So, keep your hair combed, teeth brushed, and show our visitors a good time. :) :)

If you've got an empty co-pilot seat, I'm sure the photographers will appreciate a ride.

Tim

Hi Dave,

I'm sorry to hear about you not being able to attend.

Keep the room a few days, I have someone that needs a room. The hotel is sold completely out.

If anyone else cancels for any reason please let me know. We need 2-4 more rooms.

I am probably going to be forced to cancel too but will wait until early next week to make it official. Does anyone still need a room?

Archived