Cost to replace/overhaul the engine.

gregsc1

I am forming a partnership with my CTSW and I need some information.  The partnership will have an engine rebuild/replacement fund as an hourly charge.  Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what this would cost including both labor and parts?   I need to come up with a per/hr charge to fund this eventuality.   I appreciate it.   

Labor: I did a replacement recently. I am slow and I am scrupulous and it took me about 70 working hours to replace the engine. My guess is, a man like Roger or Corey could do it in the half?(But they will propably cost at least the double :D )

Cost to overhaul is $12K - $13K. A new motor today is $17.5K. Sell the old one for $5K - $6K and put that money towards a new zero time engine.

As it stands right now most just go on condition at TBO. Rotax wants the engine's TBO'ed, but the FAA says they're okay with on condition. So pick what side of the fence you want to fall on right now. Personally I would go on condition and save the money and wait for a ruling from the FAA. If they rule for TBO then the money is still there ready to go. I have some friends with 3K - 4K hours on their engines with nothing more than the regular prescribed maint. from Rotax. There are people with CT's that are easily over 2K hours.

I talked to the FAA a few weeks back and the TBO issue is in legal right now and has been for a few months, but a ruling won't come out for a year or even two.

• 1 year later...