DJ Todd B

Anyone using the echoUAT - ADSB?

I have the Echo esx transponder with Skyfyx installed.   Have also used the Skybeacon version though the CTLS wingtip proved problomatic for reception.   The echo UAT with a Skyfyx gps is a great unit, small package, easy install and a good fit for the CT if you don't require 1090es.

5 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

I was under the impression that the EchoUAT is dual band, though really there is no need for 1090 in the CT.

It transmits on 978 Mhz (20 watts nominal), but receives on both 978 Mhz and 1090 Mhz.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, S3flyer said:

Eric,

Is the Echo ESX ADS-B In as well?  And if so, is it WIFI like the UAT?

It is out only.

On 4/12/2018 at 1:07 AM, coppercity said:

I have the Echo esx transponder with Skyfyx installed.   Have also used the Skybeacon version though the CTLS wingtip proved problomatic for reception.   The echo UAT with a Skyfyx gps is a great unit, small package, easy install and a good fit for the CT if you don't require 1090es.

Isn’t the sky beacon wired over the existing electrical system? Please explain why you experience bad reception as I am interested in this solution..

1 hour ago, patrickwiering said:

Isn’t the sky beacon wired over the existing electrical system? Please explain why you experience bad reception as I am interested in this solution..

I believe he is saying the Skybeacon version (where the antenna is wingtip mounted) had reception issues.  This is probably due to the structure of the winglets on the tips blocking the signal in certain directions.  I would guess the droop tips on the CTSW would be even worse.

2 hours ago, FlyingMonkey said:

. . . I would guess the droop tips on the CTSW would be even worse.

Valid concern there. There are better options for the CTSW.

15 hours ago, patrickwiering said:

Yes, the Sky Beacon uses the existing wire harness and is a super easy install.  It is a great all in one unit.  Unfortunately I was unable to consistently receive Satellite signals against the carbon wingtip of the CTLS.  We have not given up on this type of unit and continue to work with uAvionix to improve reception, but no solid solution yet.  So as of now I would have to recommend the Echo UAT for the CTSW and CTLS. 

42 minutes ago, coppercity said:

So as of now I would have to recommend the Echo UAT for the CTSW and CTLS. 

Any traveling tips on installing that, Eric?

Did you position the GPS receiver on the glare shield? That is my preferred location.

3 hours ago, coppercity said:

I would have to recommend the Echo UAT for the CTSW and CTLS. 

Are you sure the CTSW wingtip is carbon fiber?

5 hours ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Are you sure the CTSW wingtip is carbon fiber?

Hi Ed, 

I have not tried the unit on a CTSW yet, and perhaps it will work.   I'm not sure if the CTSW wingtip is carbon or fiberglass, the CTLS is definitely carbon.

7 hours ago, WmInce said:

Any traveling tips on installing that, Eric?

Did you position the GPS receiver on the glare shield? That is my preferred location.

I put the GPS antenna external, left inboard wing root.  Same location as the Skyview gps installs on late model CTLS.  The Echo UAT antenna needs some distance from the transponder antenna so under the belly below the ELT mount area is a good location using a similar ground plane as the transponder antenna.

24 minutes ago, coppercity said:

The Echo UAT antenna needs some distance from the transponder antenna so under the belly below the ELT mount area is a good location using a similar ground plane as the transponder antenna.

That's what uAvionix suggested when I talked to them.  They said proximity to the ELT antenna is not an issue since it doesn't transmit (we hope!), but that the 1m separation to the transponder antenna is critical.  My plan it to put it just behind the ELT antenna in the tunnel just under the access panel ahead of the ELT.  Easy access there for drilling and setting a ground plane.  My only concern is how wide the tunnel is for the ground plane; if it's less than 120mm it's going to be marginal according to uAvionix docs.

3 hours ago, coppercity said:

Hi Ed, 

I have not tried the unit on a CTSW yet, and perhaps it will work.   I'm not sure if the CTSW wingtip is carbon or fiberglass, the CTLS is definitely carbon.

Mine are fiberglass, I think they are.  Might make all the difference

12 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

Mine are fiberglass, I think they are.  Might make all the difference

There is a CTSW at my field so I will see if I can use it for a ground test.

• Upvote 1