Kennel Storage?

P25416

Guys.....

I know it is a strange question, but if I want to buy a CTLS, I dare not come between my wife and her dog......

Is there room for a very small hard plastic kennel situated high / laterally behind either the left or right seat (hat rack)? The dog only weighs 6 lbs and I was thinking the seat belt may arc over the top of the kennel with the opening facing the fuel tank selector. Thoughts?

The thought of the dog sitting on her lap or hopping around inside the cockpit sounds like a future NTSB report in the making.... :-)

Only other option is a Sports Cruiser with all the space behind the seats..... and with that low wing and large glass canopy out here in Arizona we call those Easy-Bake-Ovens...

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

Thanks Sandpiper.. love to see my wife's response to THAT one... :-)

Besides, for proper Weight and balance wouldn't I have to put a dog in each wing locker? :-)

Ok, so maybe the kennel would have to be secured another way, but is there enough room back there for this?

The other possibility is to put the kennel in the baggage bay through the pass through behind the seat.  A small kennel should fit through there, and if you leave the pass though cover off you can still get to the kennel by reaching around behind the passenger seat in flight if required.  

53 minutes ago, FlyingMonkey said:

. . . . . if you leave the pass though cover off you can still get to the kennel by reaching around behind the passenger seat in flight if required.  

That's not a bad idea.

It would serve 2 additional purposes. Muffle some of the engine noise and provide better ventilation for Fido.

1 hour ago, Tip said:

I had questioned the forum several years ago about transporting a kitten for my daughter. The consensus then was that it would probably be too loud for pets.

Definitely make sure you have hearing protection for your dog, they have much more sensitive hearing than humans.  Here's what you need:

http://www.safeandsoundpets.com/index.html

You could also put sound baffling material around the kennel, but it would have to be thick and have complete coverage to be effective.  The muffs are the better solution.

Thanks so much to all of you! You guys rock. I didn't realize that we could have access to the baggage compartment through the gap behind the seat. Can the seat be moved up creating an air and light gap?

Still, the comments on securing it and the noise level were all very valid that I had not thoroughly considered.  Thank you all.

More comments welcome if anyone has done this. Thanks.

This reminds me of a number of years ago I was climbing thru about 6000 in my 310 when my small dog decided to come up for a visit . When she jumped into the cockpit both paws landed on both throttle levers and shut down both engines for a moment. 

Roger, do you think it is more stressful in a CTLS than in a non LSA?

Madhatter, I have heard stories of a cat crawling underneath the dash and preventing the yoke from moving in.....uh, didn't end well.....

3 hours ago, Madhatter said:

This reminds me of a number of years ago I was climbing thru about 6000 in my 310 when my small dog decided to come up for a visit . When she jumped into the cockpit both paws landed on both throttle levers and shut down both engines for a moment. 

If a dog does well in a car they would most likely be okay after a couple of flights. many dogs do fly, but usually up front and not stuffed in a baggage compartment. If you wouldn't stuff your 4 year old kid in the baggage compartment then why would you do a dog or cat this way.

Great video WmInc!  Had us laughing!

Agree Roger, it sounds like it has to either sit on a lap or rent a bigger plane. Our dog usually curls up on the floor and snoozes on flights or drives but just not that kind of room in a CTLS.

Although there are times I would have liked to put our 4 year old in the baggage compartment :-).. kidding...

Thanks all.

1 hour ago, P25416 said:

Although there are times I would have liked to put our 4 year old in the baggage compartment :-).. kidding...

Works for me. Enough room on each side to carry 2 four year old's. Don't forget to use a cargo net to secure them down.

Archived