Cable Maintenance

WmInce

The heat will change the cable's metallic matrix and weaken it. If you're going to put the end in a swage, it will have terrible strength. It works fine on the ends of the throttle cables for rotax because we're clamping down further back.

Something like this would be a very bad idea to use this technique on (and bad in general):

image.png.68e53bfc2b52c4e0da9a2b230e60d1d4.png

These would be fine, as long as you aren't trying to swage on the welded part:

image.png.459511a370bf05d81d4f83bd26ec319d.png

Corey, I normally use shrink wrap for the cable ends but the heating and twisting of the throttle cable looks good to me.  As you indicate, the heat is applied far away from the clamping of the cable.  For cables that don't have long lengths away from the clamping, how about using a heat sink applied to the cable and then heating and twisting.  Or, using lower heat and applying silver solder to the un-frayed portion of the cable end, then trimming the small frayed portion?

2 hours ago, Anticept said:

Solder requires heating the cable end for a bond, but it's probably not high enough to be of concern.

Unless the solder is applied with precision, it may not allow the cable end to pass through a small hole, i.e. Bing carbs.

That's the beauty of the EAA method in the video.

Wouldn't a welded cable-end be better?

Archived