Never seen these before, comma clouds?, sperm clouds?

Ed Cesnalis

Wow Ed. This is one of your best pictures. The clouds make it all the more interesting.

Another neat thing is the way the sunbeams (shadows actually) converge in the distance, even though the sun is behind you. I've seen this before. Its hard to wrap your head around: sunbeams radiating from the sun and also toward a point on the horizon 180 degrees away.

I've spent a couple hours now trying to figure out where this it. It looks familiar, but I can't put my finger on it. The valleys or canyons both to the right and left of the peak are confusing.

Mike Koerner

Nice pics indeed. How is it like when you fly over these mountains? I guess it can be still gentle given the (guessed) temperatures. I've crossed the Austrian Alps once and the CT did get shaken. It was summer time with thick though white clouds forming over the mountain chain at that time. It didn't leave me a comfortable feeling.

2 hours ago, CT2K said:

Nice pics indeed. How is it like when you fly over these mountains? I guess it can be still gentle given the (guessed) temperatures. I've crossed the Austrian Alps once and the CT did get shaken. It was summer time with thick though white clouds forming over the mountain chain at that time. It didn't leave me a comfortable feeling.

I do this year round and generally descend into the canyons instead of just flying over.  I see a variety of conditions from 'I can't believe that didn't break the airplane' to perfectly smooth.

2 hours ago, Ben2k9 said:

Great pics. What kind of camera / set up do you use for these photos?

I use a Sony A7Rii (full frame mirrorless) and Batis primes.  I stick the lens out the vent and rest the camera on my knee while using the rear display to compose.

I mostly shoot panoramas which means a right turn holding bank and pitch with my knees and hands on camera.

12 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

I do this year round and generally descend into the canyons instead of just flying over.  I see a variety of conditions from 'I can't believe that didn't break the airplane' to perfectly smooth.

CT is a tough little bugger for sure.

Archived