draining fuel tanks

ls6pilot

If you start with a lot of fuel but don't have the time to monitor filling buckets from the gascolator, use a siphon hose and drain the tanks.  I drain directly into my car if there's lots of fuel.  Then do a final drain of the last couple gallons by draining the gascolator into a bucket.

I drain right from the gascolator right into a 5 gallon jugs. Since I do maintenance I have several just for this purpose. You can regulate with the on/off fuel valve and or the quick drain. It normally takes between 15 and 20 minutes to fill a 5 gallon jug. Just keep an eye on it or you will have fuel all over the ground.

If you are taking your plane for maintenance think about how much fuel you have in your tanks. I have a CTSW waiting for a hose change, and they topped off the fuel for the 30 minute flight to bring the airplane here. I figure it will take 6 jugs to drain the fuel.

Gascolator for me to except I remove the outer shell or basin and like Tom I use a 5 gal. can with a funnel under it. The gascolator drains much faster with the outer shell removed. Just use the fuel shut off in the cockpit to turn the fuel on or off. In a plastic can you can usually see the fuel level as it fills. If the wings are really full I may siphon with a plastic hose to get the large part of the fuel volume out of the way.

I tell everyone that comes in for the annual that includes a wing pull to try to come in with lower fuel levels and not top off. Most have 10-15 gals on board when they get there.

Gascolator. I take it outside for this and refueling, never in my hangar. I knew a guy that had a show quality Navion who was defueling in his hangar. Destroyed 3 planes and the hangar before the fire was put out.

In my case it might take my house too. Wife would not be appreciative!

1 hour ago, CT2K said:

@maintenance experts: would it be feasible to fit a draincock/drain cock ?

No. You have it at the gascolator. If you pull the bowl off instead of going through the smaller valve then it will drain as fast as anything else you may install.

Archived