Oil Change instructions

NC Bill

Hi Bill,

First you should have bought a new oil filter wrench. :) 

You'll need a 17mm & 16mm wrench, a set of dykes to cut the safety wire, safety wire pliers, catch basin and safety wire. I forgot to mention several rags or paper towels. 

Rotate the prop until you hear it gurgle to make sure all oil is back in the tank. here's a good place to pre-fill the oil filter with oil. You can fill it once, then again and then about half way the third time. Drain the oil and put the plug back in a safety wire the plug.  Put a rag under the oil filter and remove the filer. Put a smear of fresh oil on the oil filter gasket and put the filter back on. Once it touches stop. Take a look at a random mark on the filter and then turn it another 270 degrees. Cut the safety wire on the magnetic oil plug and use the 16mm wrench or socket to break lose the mag plug. Put a towel under the plug and unscrew it. Get ready to put your finger tip over the hole as oil may continue to leak out. If the plug looks good clean it off and re-install it. No need to over torque it. It just has to be snug enough not to leak. Then safety wire this plug back in place. 

https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/videos-topmenu/expanded-video-instructions/39-exp-si-27-010

https://www.rotax-owner.com/en/videos-topmenu/expanded-video-instructions/40-exp-sb-912-055

Now fill the tank with ALL 3 liters of of the Aero Shell Sport Plus 4. If you have pre-filled the oil filter there is no need to turn the prop to fill the oil filter. If you forgot to do this then rotate the prop and fill the oil filter. 

Your done and just in time to take the wife to dinner. :clap-3332:

2 hours ago, NC Bill said:

Got the oil. Got the filter.

Step by step instructions appreciated.

Don't want to mess this up.

Rotax Mainenance Manual (Line Maintenance)

Effectivity: 912 Series

Edition 3 / Rev. 2, February  01/2015

Chapter:  12-20-00

page  49

--------------------------------------- 

Start there, then work your way through; oil change (Section 11.2), filter change/inspection (Section 11.3-4), then mag plug removal/inspection (Section 12).

I highly recommend, when you begin the actual oil and filter change, DO NOT GET INTERRUPTED!

Start it and complete it.

According to Dean Vogel, Lockwood Aviation, he has fielded more than one tech support call, where guys got interupted during their oil changes (phone calls) and forgot to put new oil back in the reservoir. After starting their engine, it did not take long for the engine to sieze.

Just a friendly word of warning.

For written references:

912 ULS: Rotax line maintenance manual chapter 12-20-00 section 11.2, 11.3, 11.4.

912 iS: Rotax line maintenance manual chapter 12-20-00 section 12.2, 12.3, 12.4.

Rotation of the crank is needed for 20 turns, which after factoring in the gearbox ratio, is about 10 full turns of the propeller (actually, it's less than that, but 10 is a good round number).

Corey,

All the new filers (825-016) can be pre-filled again. There is no check valve so no need to rotate the prop unless you didn't pre-fill it. 

Only the old filters (825-012) have have the prop rotated. There should not be any more of these at a service center and maybe only what you may have on your personal shelf.

17 minutes ago, Roger Lee said:

Corey,

All the new filers (825-016) can be pre-filled again. There is no check valve so no need to rotate the prop unless you didn't pre-fill it. 

Only the old filters (825-012) have have the prop rotated. There should not be any more of these at a service center and maybe only what you may have on your personal shelf.

I still have some left yes.

Also why did you include the video? It's neat but I've never had filters that tight that I put on. For some goofy reason though, I've seen filters from other places that are gunther'd on, and I have to tell them that contact with the gasket means contact, not contact plus hand tight. You can feel the filter contact with a light touch, then do the 3/4 turn!

Hi Corey,

I trashed that filter to use the wrench past its limits because someone told me they bent a wrench just putting the filter on. So I wanted to prove them wrong. You can't bend that wrench with a normal oil change. I think if you bend that wrench maybe you shouldn't be doing oil changes. :eyebrow-1057:

• 1 month later...

In the Rotax Line Maintenance Manual, Oil Change section, Step 8 says:

"After carrying out the oil change, the engine should be cranked by hand in the 
direction of engine rotation (approx. 20 turns) to completely refill the entire oil 
circuit."

Question . . . what is meant by "approx. 20 turns?"

Engine rotation's or prop rotation's?

Gear reduction ratio is 2.43:1 for the Rotax 912.

Bottom line . . . how many propeller blades should we be pulling through, to achieve the "20 turns?"

My guess is about 25 blades. (20÷2.43x3=24.69).

4 hours ago, WmInce said:

In the Rotax Line Maintenance Manual, Oil Change section, Step 8 says:

"After carrying out the oil change, the engine should be cranked by hand in the 
direction of engine rotation (approx. 20 turns) to completely refill the entire oil 
circuit."

Question . . . what is meant by "approx. 20 turns?"

Engine rotation's or prop rotation's?

Gear reduction ratio is 2.43:1 for the Rotax 912.

Bottom line . . . how many propeller blades should we be pulling through, to achieve the "20 turns?"

My guess is about 25 blades. (20÷2.43x3=24.69).

Engine crankshaft 20 turns. If you have a 3 blade prop, 60 blades is a good measure.

1 hour ago, Anticept said:

Engine crankshaft 20 turns. If you have a 3 blade prop, 60 blades is a good measure.

Corey, since the gearbox rotates at a slower rate than the engine (2.43:1), wouldn't that equate to 48.6 engine crankshaft revolutions?

I mean you can fill the filter to the top once and it will settle into the filter body and surrounding case. You can fill it again and let it settle and then do it again. 3 times. Then the filter will be full of oil. Then there is no need to rotate the prop to fill the filter.

I think Rotax says to turn by hand. See SI-912-010R10 para 3.1.  Further, the battery is supposed to be disconnected while turning the prop.

I usually spin the prop with lower spark plugs out for inspection, that is much easier.

After reading this thread, I need to get a new filter wrench for the -016 filters I now have.

Bill Mc.

This was a tip from the 2 day  rotax inspection course at Lockwood with Dean Vogel. You can use that clip to bypass the ignition and just spin the prop while you sit in the cockpit and monitor the oil pressure. 

Archived