CHT/EGT Sensor

NC Bill

My temp readings on #1 are erratic. They go from ZERO to RED LINE but seldom are in line with normal #2. Usually the bar is just fluctuating back and forth or just blank.

What 2 points is the probe connected to. I assume 1 is on the engine and the other on the back of the SKYVIEW.

Any suggestion short of replacing the probe appreciated.

Hi Bill,

Which sensor are we talking about? Sounds like you're describing a CHT?

Nothing on front right #1. Rear right #3 has EGT and CHT. left side #2 cyl. has CHT and left side rear #4 has EGT.

If this is a CHT sensor that is either on #2 or #3 cyl. bottoms then just try giving the connector a good squeeze with a pair of pliers. The connector should not wiggle and flop easily. It should have some friction side to side.

It doesn't always solve the problem, but you have to start on the most common, cheap and easy solutions for the diagnostics and then work your way through and try not to skip around too much. You want to start at "A" then B<C<D and so on. If your diagnostics aren't complete and follow a logical pattern you may miss the cause. Follow that CHT wire and make sure it hasn't rubbed through against the engine somewhere or the connector at the probe isn't partially broken. Next it would be grounds through the system which are easy to check and even take a wire a try grounding the EMS  on its frame. This complete ground check should take about 20 minutes. Tighten them all.

• 2 years later...

I replaced my old (fluctuating) CHT 1 1/4 gauge part N12116V300F020 with a UMA N12116U300F000  I thought it was gonna be a simple plug and play replacement but im now getting a 300F reading just a few mins after startup.    Gonna go back to hangar tomorrow and try to figure this one out but any chance i replaced with the wrong incompatible part?

I tried the new CHT gauge to the oil temp line and same prob - 170 degrees (switch on without engine running)   Am not good with electrical.  Does this now sound like a resistor needs to be added then ?  Sadly that would make the cht /oil temp not interchangeable (for testing purposes)  Argh.  Will reach out to FD or UMA but any other thoughts here are appreciated.

Update FYI.    Got response from UMA.  The new gauge i bought is not calibrated to the existing probe.  Original from FD N12116V300F020     New part:  N12116U300F000   The key difference is the V and the U ....  ARGH!!   Frustrating expensive mistake for people like me that are not very knowledgeable on this.   Cheaper alternative is i shall like replace the probe to match the gauge.  

• 11 months later...

Was having some elevated CHT  gauge reading issues again - With Rogers guidance, i once again cleaned and tightened the grounds.  Thus far ground run has been good.   I did notice however when i turned off the  Dynon 100/ transponder and radio,   the CHT went down 5 to 7 degrees.  (UMA Analogue gauges)  Repeated this multiple times by switching the EFIS etc on then off and got the same results.    You electrical geniuses will know whats going on - for me, its just another CT quirk :)