Sign in to follow this  
NC Bill

CHT/EGT Sensor

My temp readings on #1 are erratic. They go from ZERO to RED LINE but seldom are in line with normal #2. Usually the bar is just fluctuating back and forth or just blank.

What 2 points is the probe connected to. I assume 1 is on the engine and the other on the back of the SKYVIEW.

Any suggestion short of replacing the probe appreciated.

Hi Bill,

Which sensor are we talking about? Sounds like you're describing a CHT?

Nothing on front right #1. Rear right #3 has EGT and CHT. left side #2 cyl. has CHT and left side rear #4 has EGT.

If this is a CHT sensor that is either on #2 or #3 cyl. bottoms then just try giving the connector a good squeeze with a pair of pliers. The connector should not wiggle and flop easily. It should have some friction side to side.

That solution worked for me recently. While at it, clean the voltage  Regulator and secure with two wire ties. It is a matter of time before that beggar acts up too.

Roger you are the man with the Midas touch.

It doesn't always solve the problem, but you have to start on the most common, cheap and easy solutions for the diagnostics and then work your way through and try not to skip around too much. You want to start at "A" then B<C<D and so on. If your diagnostics aren't complete and follow a logical pattern you may miss the cause. Follow that CHT wire and make sure it hasn't rubbed through against the engine somewhere or the connector at the probe isn't partially broken. Next it would be grounds through the system which are easy to check and even take a wire a try grounding the EMS  on its frame. This complete ground check should take about 20 minutes. Tighten them all.