Max rpm or?

CTMI

46 minutes ago, Big Les said:

So what you’re saying is if 5200rpm is set with a WOT, then it won’t labor, it will just reach its coarsest, then if that maximum pitch is reached  then the rpm will increase?

If the coarse pitch stop is reached then yes the RPM will go up from there. That being said it likely won't reach the stop, and the RPM would remain at 5200.

As Corey suggested look to the Rotax Operators Manual or your Airplane operating Instructions for guidance.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Ed Cesnalis said:

In today's very light aircraft world one might say 'constant speed' when he means only the pitch is adjustable in flight.

That is why in my opinion it is very important to use the correct terminology. Some people think if it is controlable pitch it is constant speed, but that is not the case as you know. if the propeller is just controlable pitch and not a constant speed then Roger's advice was on point.

59 minutes ago, Tom Baker said:

That is why in my opinion it is very important to use the correct terminology. Some people think if it is controlable pitch it is constant speed, but that is not the case as you know. if the propeller is just controlable pitch and not a constant speed then Roger's advice was on point.

Excellent point Tom. Big difference between the two systems.

For our light sport application, I opine controllable pitch is more appropriate. Besides providing pitch selection, it is probably lighter, less expensive and requires less maintenance (no governor).

3 hours ago, WmInce said:

Excellent point Tom. Big difference between the two systems.

For our light sport application, I opine controllable pitch is more appropriate. Besides providing pitch selection, it is probably lighter, less expensive and requires less maintenance (no governor).

The same thing happens with our autopilot. People often call it a 3 axis autopilot when it is actually a 2 axis autopilot. Their understanding of what the term 3 axis means in incorrect.

3 hours ago, Tom Baker said:

The same thing happens with our autopilot. People often call it a 3 axis autopilot when it is actually a 2 axis autopilot. Their understanding of what the term 3 axis means in incorrect.

Unless you have a yaw damper, eh?

By the way, there are some Sling's out there, that are equipped with a yaw damper. Sling experts have advised it is absolutely unneccessary. The 2-axis autopilot is fine, just as most other light sport installations.

• 3 months later...

Archived