2018 CTLsi GT - 3 screen Dynon

CT4ME

Over kill . . . big time.

With two 10-inch Skyviews, that is more than enough real estate to display everything very well.

Using the left (PIC's) display just for primary flight instruments seems a bit of a waste. I mean . . . how big does an attitude indicator really have to be?

I would like to know John Hurst's reasoning on that.

Perhaps John will chime in here.

Unless I'm not informed of all the options, I believe that foregoing the Garmin as the middle display (796 in my case),  relegates us to ADSB weather, whereas having two Dynons and a Garmin allows ADSB and XM weather.  My experience, using both in a number of planes, is that the XM is better.  Cost differential is an issue though.

Andy

2 minutes ago, Anticept said:

Dynon has add on modules that enable ADSB out and in. There is no reason to have a Garmin device installed, other than if you just likw garmin.

I think what he is saying that without the Garmin you don't have access to XM weather.

xm weather is OK but I prefer Dynon.  Bigger screen for display and overlay and very easy to use.  Also no additional subscription cost involved. That being said, when I go on long trips, I activate XM weather.  Kenny Rogers is very easy listening as well.

Duane,

Yes, I think you make good points.

My previous plane had XM in the panel, and I had ADSB weather on Foreflight.  I made a practice of using both together when the weather was a question.  I do the same thing in the CT.  Interestingly, on Saturday I took my plane from KSUS to KOLY to drop the plane off with Tom Baker for annual, hoses, and parachute repack.  Big WX system to the southeast of my route.  In that case, it was much easier to follow on ADSB than XM.  I find both services to be helpful, more so than only one.

Seeing that you're so close to me, when you're in town  maybe I can buy you breakfast!

Andy

CTWX.JPG

I have installed Dynon in and out. The weather display was slightly better with XM and more info was available. The upcoming refinements to Ads-B In will close much of the gap. The bigger factor for me was the XM subscription cost. YMMV

Roger, I agree the American market sometimes is not all about price? Take the Tecnam P2008 for example, is over $200K with 914 turbo, and I think it is selling well. How many CT owners would upgrade to a turbo CTLS, if they had to pay $15K more than for the same equipped 912 or 912i ? I’m assuming it would be 10 to 15 knots faster at 4K to 5k and better yet the higher you go. And yes, I have heard the argument about the turbo is a waste of money without a constant speed prop, and it’s not true. I know, I have one. There is no substitute for HP at All altitudes and especially on hot days. Sure a constant speed would make it wonderful, but being able to make full power at any altitude up to 15K and pitching your prop a little more aggressive for the altitudes you normally fly makes a difference. 

• 2 weeks later...

The third screen is just a natural evolution. As Dynon now has full navigation capabilities, the panel can be further simplified and integrated by replacing the 796 with a 7" Dynon HDX.  This also allows each display to have a dedicated function PFD, EMS, and MFD reducing the need to split screens & decrease clutter. 

The middle display, or EMS tends to live split with EMS/Autopilot control on cross country flights in our demonstrator.

It is still possible to integrate a 796 with three displays as we have done.  This can be mounted on the left side of the panel with a mygoflight arm.  The 796 is more useful in this configuration as it is easier to operate the touch screen handheld as intended, and can be rotated portrait or landscape.  

Best Regards,

John

IMG_5990.JPG

IMG_5984.JPG

IMG_5988.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Weight of the 7" HDX (SV-HDX800) = 2.75 lb per Dynon install manual

Weight of the 796 = 1.65 lb and AirGizmo = .49 lb total = 2.14 lb per Garmin.com and AirGizmos.com

According to the above info replacing the 796 with a 7" Skyview HDX adds about .61 lb or 9.76 ounces.

John

• 10 months later...