Outside air temp probe placement

ls6pilot

It really shouldn't be on the belly. The exhaust causes a rise in temps. Heat off a warm to hot tarmac will cause higher readings to. Hot air coming out the bottom of the cowl influence readings. I have seen this on several CT's with after manufacture installations.

It must be in the shade and not the sun. A better place is just under the left flap area. Away from the flap so as no to contact it and it is in the shade. It makes for an easy install and any maint. later. Out on the wingtip inspection panel like Tom said is the factory install.

1 hour ago, FlyingMonkey said:

Mine is under the passenger seat.  I wonder if it’s more prone to interference in that location.

My first CT had the D100 added here in the states. They installed mine in the baggage. I threw some bag chairs in there to go to a airshow once, and it threw my compass of by 30° or so. I think as long as it is fairly accurate compared to the GPS, and away from steel objects and wiring it should be OK.

On 5/13/2018 at 6:29 AM, FlyingMonkey said:

Mine was on the belly behnd the static port, and I had it relocated to the wing.  Hot exhaust gasses flowing under the airplane caused it to read consistently 7-10 degrees higher than actual OAT.

Ditto!

On 5/13/2018 at 7:16 AM, Roger Lee said:

It really shouldn't be on the belly. The exhaust causes a rise in temps. Heat off a warm to hot tarmac will cause higher readings to. Hot air coming out the bottom of the cowl influence readings. I have seen this on several CT's with after manufacture installations.

It must be in the shade and not the sun. A better place is just under the left flap area. Away from the flap so as no to contact it and it is in the shade. It makes for an easy install and any maint. later. Out on the wingtip inspection panel like Tom said is the factory install.

I moved mine so it is under the right flap. Works like it should now. 

Clear of the flap? Is that why my right flap doesn't go all the way down and the plane roles??:fainting-1344:

Joking of course. It's installed as Roger indicated. It's maybe 2-3" below the flap hinge and an inch or two aft. No need to involve the wings. It would be hard to interfere with the flaps but somebody probably could find a way!

Archived